Electrostatics - probably a standard question

In summary, for a solid non-conducting sphere with non-uniform charge distribution, the total charge on the sphere can be calculated using Q = ∏ρsR3. To find the electric field inside the sphere, use Gauss' theorem and find the charge enclosed in a radius r'<R by using integration.
exuberant.me
Q) A solid non-conducting sphere of radius R carries non-uniform charge distribution with charge density ρ = ρs(r/R), where ρs is a constant. Show that
(a) the total charge on the sphere is Q = ∏ρsR3, and
(b) find the electric field inside the sphere.

Now first part (a) is fairly easy,
assumed a sphere of radius x and then after further integration got the result

But i need an idea for the second part..
since there is no symmetry so "Gauss" theorem is of no use applying...
I think i need an integration there as well. But can someone provide me an idea on how to continue further. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
since there is no symmetry so "Gauss" theorem is of no use applying...
There is a spherical symmetry.

How did you get the answer to part a. It seems incorrect to me.

Never mind, I got it.

barryj said:
Never mind, I got it.

what about the electric field?

exuberant.me said:
what about the electric field?

Use Gauss' theorem. Find the charge enclosed in a radius r'<R. Use integration.

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest. It deals with the behavior of stationary or slow-moving electric charges, also known as static electricity.

2. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that results in an attractive or repulsive force between objects. It can be positive or negative and is measured in coulombs (C).

3. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely through them, while insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to flow easily. Conductors have loosely bound electrons that can move around, while insulators have tightly bound electrons that cannot move as easily.

4. How does electrostatics relate to everyday life?

Electrostatics plays a role in many everyday phenomena, such as static cling in clothing, lightning, and the attraction of hair to a comb. It also has practical applications in industries such as electronics, air purification, and painting.

5. How are electric fields and electric potential related?

An electric field is a region around a charged object where other charged objects experience a force. Electric potential, on the other hand, is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. They are related by the equation V = W/Q, where V is electric potential, W is work done, and Q is the charge.