Elementary Function with Non-elementary Derivative

In summary: Proof for a proof that:$$ \int_0^1 x^{-x} \, dx = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^n} $$Hi piercebeatz !In summary, the sophomore dream is to be able to prove that the integral of a function over a closed interval is equal to the sum of infinite series.
pierce15
Does such a function exist? My gut tells me that such a function should not exist, but is there a proof that all elementary functions have elementary derivatives?

Physics news on Phys.org
piercebeatz said:
Does such a function exist? My gut tells me that such a function should not exist, but is there a proof that all elementary functions have elementary derivatives?

I believe that you could make a finite list of all elementary functions and then show that they all have derivatives.

I think this is a question about language not math, because "elementary functions" are whatever functions people decide to call "elementary". AFAIK the phrase "elementary function" doesn't have any mathematical siignificance (unlike "analytic function", for example).

A common reason for inventing a new "elementary" function is to give a name to the indefinite integral of some function that has a "practical" use (in physics or engineering) - which explaiins why most (if not all) of them have elementary derivatives.

AlephZero said:
I think this is a question about language not math, because "elementary functions" are whatever functions people decide to call "elementary".

Elementary functions were introduced by Liouville. They are well defined.

AFAIK the phrase "elementary function" doesn't have any mathematical significance (unlike "analytic function", for example).

It is currently the largest function space on which the Risch algorithm is known to be decidable.

AlephZero said:
A common reason for inventing a new "elementary" function is to give a name to the indefinite integral of some function that has a "practical" use (in physics or engineering)

Roughly I agree, but with some nuances.
First, I prefer to say : A common reason for inventing a new "special" function is to give a name to the indefinite integral ... etc.
Second, if a "special" function becomes of common use and is known by a very large number of people, it can be said "elementary" function in the common language.
Third, giving a name to the integral of a already known function is not the only way to invent a new special function. Many were defined as a solution of a differential equation, or as a solution of an analytic equation (for example the W Lambert function), or thanks to several other kind of definitions. For example, see pp. 20-25 in the paper "Safari in the Contry of Special Functions" :
http://www.scribd.com/JJacquelin/documents

JJacquelin said:

Impressive set of documents! I have a question about the sophomore dream: how would one show that:

$$ \int_0^1 x^{-x} \, dx = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^n} $$

Attachments

• Sphd.JPG
    Sphd.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,164

1. What is an elementary function?

An elementary function is a function that can be expressed using a finite combination of basic operations and elementary functions, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponentiation, and logarithms. Examples of elementary functions include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

2. What is a non-elementary derivative?

A non-elementary derivative is the derivative of a function that cannot be expressed using elementary functions. This means that there is no simple formula or rule for finding the derivative, and it may require more advanced mathematical techniques to calculate it.

3. Can an elementary function have a non-elementary derivative?

Yes, there are many elementary functions that have non-elementary derivatives. For example, the natural logarithm function has a derivative of 1/x, which is non-elementary. Similarly, the inverse trigonometric functions such as arctan and arcsin have non-elementary derivatives.

4. Why do we study elementary functions with non-elementary derivatives?

Studying these types of functions allows us to better understand the complexity of mathematical functions and how they relate to each other. It also helps us develop more advanced mathematical techniques for finding derivatives and solving problems involving non-elementary functions.

5. How can we find the derivative of a non-elementary function?

There is no single method for finding the derivative of a non-elementary function, as it depends on the specific function. In some cases, it may be possible to use a series expansion or integration techniques to find the derivative. In other cases, numerical methods or computer algorithms may be used. It often requires a combination of mathematical knowledge and problem-solving skills to find the derivative of a non-elementary function.