How to get credit for a mathematics discovery?

In summary, the conversation discussed a breakthrough in evaluating an integral with an antiderivative using elementary functions. The discovery involved using regular and trigonometric substitutions and may have implications for proving the existence of elementary primitives for certain functions. However, there are already established methods, such as the Liouville theorem and Risch algorithm, for this purpose. The individual is curious about how to receive proper recognition for their discovery and is considering submitting a paper to a journal or arxiv.
Glype11
I figure out a way to evaluate an integral with an antiderivative with elementary functions which had previously only been defined by an anitderivative that was not an elementary function. Everything checks outs. I used 3 regular substitutions and a trigonometric substitution and I just have to go back and insert the original variables. Although the antiderivative maybe somewhat involved it will certainly be elementary.

I only did some algebraic manipulations and and used an initial substitution, and proceeded from there. I didn't discover a new method yet the antiderirvate was thought to be impossible to express in elementary functions and if I can proof that it can, how big of deal would that be? Before I show my results, I want to make sure I get credit for my work so no one can steal the idea as their own.

How does one get proper recognition for a discovery such as this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to know more about that. too.
Here is some information about what I do know:
You must write a paper to a journal, you can check:
ijma.info , before creating a paper, read author guidelines and some other papers/issues to understand how the journal works.

You could submit a paper to arxiv. First you got to register for arxiv. https://arxiv.org/help/registerhelp
And/or you could submit a paper to a peer reviewed journal.

The Liouville theorem and the Risch algorithm specify exactly which functions have an elementary primitive and a way to find. And if it has no elementary primitive, it provides a proof of this. So your discovery is sadly useless since the Liouville theorem and Risch algorithm already do what you invented (and they do it for general functions).

1. How can I prove that my mathematics discovery is original?

To get credit for a mathematics discovery, it is important to prove that your idea is original and not already published or established by someone else. This can be done by conducting thorough research and referencing other published works in the field. Additionally, it is crucial to document your thought process and any new methods or approaches you used to arrive at the discovery.

2. Do I need to publish my mathematics discovery in a journal to get credit?

While publishing your discovery in a reputable journal can help establish its credibility and increase its visibility, it is not the only way to get credit for your mathematics discovery. You can also present your findings at conferences, workshops, or seminars, or even share them on an online platform like arXiv. The key is to reach a wider audience and receive recognition from experts in the field.

3. How can I ensure that my mathematics discovery is recognized by the scientific community?

There is no guarantee that your mathematics discovery will be recognized by the scientific community, as it depends on its significance and impact. However, you can increase its chances by presenting your findings at conferences, submitting your work to reputable journals, and networking with other mathematicians and researchers in the field.

4. Can I get credit for a mathematics discovery if I am not affiliated with a university or research institution?

Affiliation with a university or research institution is not a requirement for getting credit for a mathematics discovery. As long as you can provide sufficient evidence that your discovery is original and significant, it can be recognized by the scientific community regardless of your affiliation. However, having access to resources and collaborating with other mathematicians can greatly benefit your research and increase its visibility.

5. Is it possible to get credit for a mathematics discovery even if I am not a professional mathematician?

Yes, it is possible to get credit for a mathematics discovery even if you are not a professional mathematician. Many discoveries have been made by amateur mathematicians or individuals with a different academic background. What matters is the quality and significance of your discovery, as well as your ability to provide evidence and communicate your findings effectively to the scientific community.