Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get credit for a mathematics discovery?

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    I figure out a way to evaluate an integral with an antiderivative with elementary functions which had previously only been defined by an anitderivative that was not an elementary function. Everything checks outs. I used 3 regular substitutions and a trigonometric substitution and I just have to go back and insert the original variables. Although the antiderivative maybe somewhat involved it will certainly be elementary.

I only did some algebraic manipulations and and used an initial substitution, and proceeded from there. I didn't discover a new method yet the antiderirvate was thought to be impossible to express in elementary functions and if I can proof that it can, how big of deal would that be? Before I show my results, I want to make sure I get credit for my work so no one can steal the idea as their own.

How does one get proper recognition for a discovery such as this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2
    I want to know more about that. too.
    Here is some information about what I do know:
    You must write a paper to a journal, you can check:
    ijma.info , before creating a paper, read author guidelines and some other papers/issues to understand how the journal works.

4. Nov 11, 2015 #3
    You could submit a paper to arxiv. First you gotta register for arxiv. https://arxiv.org/help/registerhelp
    And/or you could submit a paper to a peer reviewed journal.

5. Nov 11, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The Liouville theorem and the Risch algorithm specify exactly which functions have an elementary primitive and a way to find. And if it has no elementary primitive, it provides a proof of this. So your discovery is sadly useless since the Liouville theorem and Risch algorithm already do what you invented (and they do it for general functions).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook