Elementary Trigonometry problem

In summary, In this problem, the equation given describes a set of curves that can be obtained by differentiating the equation with respect to A and B. Additionally, if the equation was written as A*X^2, then X^2 would not be equal to the square root of thefrac{AB^2}{A+B}.
GeorgeDirac
My problem is from Israel Gelfand's Trigonometry textbook.

Page 9. Exercise 7: Two points, A and B, are given in the plane. Describe the set of points X such that [itex]AX^2+BX^2=AB^2.[/itex]

The attempt at a solution
Since problem asked to describe set of points X such that [itex]AX^2+BX^2=AB^2[/itex], I tried to solve for X, and got

[itex]AX^2+BX^2=AB^2\to
X^2(A+B)=AB^2\to
X^2=\sqrt{\frac{AB^2}{A+B}}[/itex]

This got me nowhere though, so I would appreciate some hints on how to approach the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, X is a set of points ... so ##X=\{\vec X_1,\vec X_2,\cdots\}:\vec X_i=(x_{i1},x_{i2},\cdots ) ; i = 1,2,\cdots##?

Or do you know they mean that ##X \in \mathbb{R}##?

If the second, then the equation you got gives you a set of curves for different A and B.
Treat A and B as axes.

I think the OP's problem is "describe the set of points X such that [tex]
\overline{AX}^2 + \overline{BX}^2 = \overline{AB}^2",[/tex] where [itex]\overline{AB}[/itex] denotes the distance between A and B.

pasmith said:
I think the OP's problem is "describe the set of points X such that [tex]
\overline{AX}^2 + \overline{BX}^2 = \overline{AB}^2",[/tex] where [itex]\overline{AB}[/itex] denotes the distance between A and B.

Yes, that is my problem, I am very stupid, I don't know why I thought that AX meant A*X.

I recommend asking Pythagorus.

(and a mind-reading star for pasmith :-) )

Ah - "points A B and X" ... <sigh>

More like:
##|AX|^2+|BX|^2=|AB|^2##

##\overline{AB}## would normally denote the line segment between A and B.

... well spotted that individual.

GeorgeDirac said:
[itex]AX^2+BX^2=AB^2\to
X^2(A+B)=AB^2\to
X^2=\sqrt{\frac{AB^2}{A+B}}[/itex]

And even if it was [itex]A\times X^2[/itex], then [itex]\displaystyle X^2\ne\sqrt{\frac{AB^2} {A+B}}[/itex]

What is elementary trigonometry?

Elementary trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is the foundation of more advanced trigonometry and is used to solve basic problems involving triangles and angles.

What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. They are ratios of the sides of a right triangle and are used to find missing sides or angles.

How do I solve a basic trigonometry problem?

To solve a basic trigonometry problem, you will need to identify the given information, such as angles or sides of a triangle. Then, you can use the appropriate trigonometric function to find the missing values.

What are the common applications of elementary trigonometry?

Elementary trigonometry is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. It can be used to calculate distances, heights, and angles in real-world situations.

Can I use a calculator to solve elementary trigonometry problems?

Yes, most scientific calculators have trigonometric functions built-in, making it easier to solve problems involving trigonometry. However, it is important to understand the concepts and be able to solve problems without a calculator as well.