1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elements and similar type of reaction

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    Potassium reacts with Chlorine to produce the ionic solid potassium chloride (KCl). Which elements would you predict would react with Iodine in a similar type of reaction?

I know that K has a +1 charge and Cl has a -1 charge.

Iodine has a -1 charge and all the elements in column 1A have a +1 charge.

I deduced that Cesium has a similar type of reaction when combined with Iodine but are there any other elements that would produce a similar reaction?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What led you to Cesium and not the other Group I metals?
  4. Sep 10, 2008 #3
    The atomic mass of K = 39.098 and Cl = 35.453
    I = 126.904 and proportionally Cs = 132.905
  5. Sep 10, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

What kind of product will you expect from reaction between sodium and iodine? Lithium? Any group I metal? Aren't they similar?
  6. Sep 10, 2008 #5
    I guess I would include elements: Li, Na, K, Rb, Cs, and Fr but I'm not sure about Hydrogen which is not an alkali metal. Is that correct?
  7. Sep 10, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

The actual atomic mass of atoms does not really have too much of an effect on their reactivity*. Chemical reactions involve atomic/molecular orbitals, so the electrons are the really important part. Atomic mass is important only insofar as it affects the number of electrons that the atom has.

*This is not true for hydrogen and other sufficiently light atoms where certain quantum effects become important.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?