Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

# elements in base does not depend on the basis

1. Jul 11, 2013 #1
    Essentially, I have to show that where {[itex]e_1,...,e_n[/itex]} forms the basis of [itex]L[/itex], no family of vectors {[itex]e'_1 ,..., e'_m[/itex]} with [itex]m[/itex]>[itex]n[/itex] can serve as the basis of [itex]L[/itex]. The book shows this by saying there exists a [itex]0[/itex] vector such that [itex]0 = \sum_{i=1}^{m}x_ie'_i[/itex], where not all [itex]x_i[/itex] vanish. I wanted to show it by distinguishing the sets to which [itex]e[/itex] and [itex]e'[/itex] belong and showing that if one belongs to a set in n-dimension and the other belongs to a different set in g-dimension where g>n, the n-dimension cannot encompass the g-dimension. I'm not sure if this is doable or too longwinded. Also, I do not understand their reasoning or where the [itex]0[/itex] vector comes from. Help?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If n vectors form a basis of L, then the dimension of L is n, and not g. Where does that g come from, and what is it supposed to be?
    It is possible to assume that there is a different basis with m>n vectors, and show that the first n vectors cannot form a basis then (proof by contradiction).

What do you mean with "where the 0 vector comes from"? The 0 vector is part of L.

4. Jul 12, 2013 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You should should state exactly what book's proof says.

That's doesn't describe a specific method, so I'm not sure either.

You'll have to reveal the book's proof if you want someone to evaluated it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook