Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to Set Theory (precursor to better evaluation of LA)

1. Jul 20, 2013 #1
    My goal: To show the dimension of space [itex]L[/itex] equals the length of any maximal flag of [itex]L[/itex];

Is the following valid?

My attempt:

Let [itex]M \rightarrow {L_{i-1}, ... L_i}[/itex]

where [itex]{e_i} \in L_i[/itex] [itex]|[/itex] [itex]e_i \not\in L_{i-1}[/itex]

Assuming [itex]e_i \in M[/itex] and [itex]e_i \not\in L_{i-1}[/itex],

we can say: [itex]e_i \in L_i[/itex] and [itex]L_i = M[/itex].

Thus: [itex]{e_1, ... ,e_i} , {e_i} \in L_i = M[/itex] \ [itex]L_{i-1}[/itex]

for [itex]n = dim L[/itex] or "finite dimension" of [itex]L[/itex] such that: [itex]L_o \subset L_1 \subset L_2 ... \subset L_n[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What are ##M## and ##L_i##?

4. Jul 20, 2013 #3
    I apologize for posting in a rush.

[itex]L[/itex] is a maximal flag defined by [itex]L_0 \subset L_1 \subset L_2 ...[/itex] and [itex]L_i[/itex] is a space for which ([itex]{e_1, ... ,e_i}[/itex]) forms the basis. Assuming
    ([itex]{e_i, ... ,e_{i-1}}[/itex]) is valid, [itex]M[/itex] is a linear span of the aforementioned basis of [itex]L_i[/itex].

5. Jul 21, 2013 #4
    Help... anyone? :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook