Introduction to Set Theory (precursor to better evaluation of LA)

In summary, the conversation discusses the goal of showing that the dimension of space L is equal to the length of any maximal flag of L. The validity of a specific equation is questioned and clarified, with M and L_i defined as a linear span and a space with a specific basis, respectively. The conversation concludes with a plea for help.
CubicFlunky77
My goal: To show the dimension of space [itex]L[/itex] equals the length of any maximal flag of [itex]L[/itex];

Is the following valid?

My attempt:

Let [itex]M \rightarrow {L_{i-1}, ... L_i}[/itex]

where [itex]{e_i} \in L_i[/itex] [itex]|[/itex] [itex]e_i \not\in L_{i-1}[/itex]

Assuming [itex]e_i \in M[/itex] and [itex]e_i \not\in L_{i-1}[/itex],

we can say: [itex]e_i \in L_i[/itex] and [itex]L_i = M[/itex].

Thus: [itex]{e_1, ... ,e_i} , {e_i} \in L_i = M[/itex] \ [itex]L_{i-1}[/itex]

for [itex]n = dim L[/itex] or "finite dimension" of [itex]L[/itex] such that: [itex]L_o \subset L_1 \subset L_2 ... \subset L_n[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What are ##M## and ##L_i##?

I apologize for posting in a rush.

[itex]L[/itex] is a maximal flag defined by [itex]L_0 \subset L_1 \subset L_2 ...[/itex] and [itex]L_i[/itex] is a space for which ([itex]{e_1, ... ,e_i}[/itex]) forms the basis. Assuming
([itex]{e_i, ... ,e_{i-1}}[/itex]) is valid, [itex]M[/itex] is a linear span of the aforementioned basis of [itex]L_i[/itex].

Help... anyone? :(

Yes, the above reasoning is valid. It is using the concept of a maximal flag, which is a sequence of nested subspaces that eventually reach the entire space L. The notation of M \rightarrow {L_{i-1}, ... L_i} indicates that the subspace M is being mapped onto the sequence of subspaces, and the notation {e_i} \in L_i | e_i \not\in L_{i-1} indicates that the vector e_i is in the subspace L_i but not in the previous subspace L_{i-1}. This is a valid way to construct a maximal flag in order to show the dimension of space L. The final statement, L_o \subset L_1 \subset L_2 ... \subset L_n, indicates that the sequence of subspaces is increasing in dimension, with L_n being the entire space L. This is consistent with the definition of a maximal flag.

1. What is Set Theory?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets and their properties. A set is a collection of objects or elements, and Set Theory provides a framework for understanding the relationships between these elements.

2. What is the purpose of Set Theory?

The purpose of Set Theory is to provide a foundation for other branches of mathematics, such as algebra and calculus. It also helps in formalizing mathematical arguments and proofs, and is used in various fields such as computer science, physics, and economics.

3. What are the basic elements of Set Theory?

The basic elements of Set Theory include sets, elements, and operations. A set is a collection of distinct objects, elements are the objects within a set, and operations such as union, intersection, and complement are used to manipulate sets.

4. How is Set Theory used in real-world applications?

Set Theory is used in various real-world applications, such as database management, computer science, and statistics. It helps in organizing and analyzing data, and is also used in decision-making processes.

5. Why is understanding Set Theory important?

Understanding Set Theory is important because it provides a fundamental framework for understanding and solving problems in mathematics and other fields. It also helps in developing critical thinking skills and logical reasoning, which are essential for scientific research and problem-solving.