1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elements in only 1 left/right coset

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    My lecture notes state that every element of a group belongs to exactly one right and one left coset of a certain subgroup, but I don't see why this should be the case, so I tries to prove it:

with S and S' elements of the subgroup H of G we then have that if a certain element X of the group G belongs to the coset TH but to T'H as well

i.e. X=TS=T'S' we should have that T=T' right?

This means TS(S'^-1)=T'E with S(S'^-1) again an element of H, but I don't see why T should be T', or did I misintepreted the theorem?

(PS: Somewhat further they use as an example a generelaized torus: Rn / Zn = (R/Z)n which is supposed to b homomorphic to the unit circle. But I don't really see what this 'factor group' represents...:confused: )

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2
    The right cosets of H in G are the equivalences classes of the equivalence relation ~ on G given by x~y iff xy^-1 in H. They are equivalence classes, so they partition G into a family of mutually disjoint nonempty subsets. So every element in G belongs to exactly 1 right coset(to exactly 1 equivalence class). So if x belongs to two right cosets say Ha and Hb, then it follows that Ha = Hb.

I just said this in words, didn't prove anything. If you want to prove it, you can,

1) Let R be an equivalence relation on a set S. Show every element of S is in exactly one equivalence class.

2) Show the relation defined, ~, is an equivalence relation on a group G(with H being a subgroup).

3) Show the equivalence classes of ~ are the right cosets of H in G.

Then it follows immediately.

4. Nov 15, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cosets are either equal or disjoint. It is a natural consequence of the definition of a group.

(R/Z) is isomorphic to the unit circle in C. (R/Z)^n is not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?