Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elements that can be oxidizing AND reducing agents?

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    Hello people, so there is a gr.11 chem question that i've been struggling with...

a) Identify three oxidizing agents (other than Fe2+) from the redox table that can also react as reducing agents.
    b)try to explain this suprising behavior.

so, any ideas? i have a redox table in my textbook, but i am not sure how to determine the chemicals that behave as oxidizing and reducing agents...Any help is appreciated o:)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2
    Start from the definition of reducing and oxidizing agent, and if you understand why Fe2+ can be both a reducing and an oxidizing agent depending on the reaction, you can easily answer that question.

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3
    As several of the halogens compounds undergo REDOX reactions with themselves (so called disproportionation), one can include hypochlorites (or Chlorine), hypobromites (or Bromine) and hypoidoites (or Iodine).

Examples:

Cl2 + H2O <----> HCl + HOCl

I2 + H2O <---> HI + HIO

3 NaClO ---> 2 NaCl + NaClO3

3 HIO ---> 2 HI + HIO3

Other candidates, H2O2 and SO2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook