Elevator Problem Apparent weight and distance traveled

In summary, the conversation discusses a person named Henry getting into an elevator on the 50th floor of a building and the changes in his apparent weight over the next 12 seconds. The conversation includes a question about the initial direction of the elevator, the mass of Henry, and the distance traveled by Henry at t=12s. The concepts of apparent weight, net force, and acceleration are discussed to help answer the questions.
charan1

Homework Statement

Henry gets into an elevator on the 50th floor of a building and it begins moving at t=0s. The figure shows his apparent weight over the next 12 seconds.

Part A: Is the elevator's initial direction up or down? Explain how you can tell.

Part B: What is Henry's mass?

Part C: How far has Henry traveled at t=12s?

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=m(g + ay)

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A:

The elevator is initially going in the downward direction. This is because the apparent weight stays the same for 2 seconds if it went upwards the apparent weight would have gone up right then starting from t=0.

Part B:

First I just did F=ma at 600N because that was the start...so 600N=mg. m came out to be 61.22kg. This was incorrect.

Then I thought that whenever there is an apparent weight change that is when the elevator switches direction because it has to break equilibrium in the forces to switch the net forces direction. So I suppose that since the apparent weight is 750N mostly I put that in force and it was: 750N=mg so m= 76.53kg

Part C:

Im not sure how to do this. I suppose there is some relation between apparent weight change and acceleration? like Fnet=ma and the a will be the acceleration for the direction change?

The only thing is the image does not show how long the acceleration is for.

please help for B and C

Attachments

• 6.32.jpg
    6.32.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,145
Physics news on Phys.org
charan1 said:

Homework Statement

Henry gets into an elevator on the 50th floor of a building and it begins moving at t=0s. The figure shows his apparent weight over the next 12 seconds.

Part A: Is the elevator's initial direction up or down? Explain how you can tell.

Part B: What is Henry's mass?

Part C: How far has Henry traveled at t=12s?

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=m(g + ay)

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A:

The elevator is initially going in the downward direction. This is because the apparent weight stays the same for 2 seconds if it went upwards the apparent weight would have gone up right then starting from t=0.

Part B:

First I just did F=ma at 600N because that was the start...so 600N=mg. m came out to be 61.22kg. This was incorrect.

Then I thought that whenever there is an apparent weight change that is when the elevator switches direction because it has to break equilibrium in the forces to switch the net forces direction. So I suppose that since the apparent weight is 750N mostly I put that in force and it was: 750N=mg so m= 76.53kg

Part C:

Im not sure how to do this. I suppose there is some relation between apparent weight change and acceleration? like Fnet=ma and the a will be the acceleration for the direction change?

The only thing is the image does not show how long the acceleration is for.

please help for B and C

Can we can agree that if the person is not accelerating, then the apparent weight is just mg?
If the apparent weight is greater than mg, then the floor, or scale on the floor, is pushing back on the person with a force that is greater than mg. This force is mg + ma. If the person has an apparent weight that is less than mg, then his apparent weight (force exerted by the scale on the person) is less than mg, or mg - ma. If you draw a FBD of this and make two situations, net force down and net force up, it is easy to see.

As far as the graph is concerned... If the person's apparent weight changes through time, then the acceleration is changing. Because Weight is a force and mass does not change so acceleration must be the part changing in F = ma. Hope this helps with the concepts.

1. What is the apparent weight of an object in an elevator?

The apparent weight of an object in an elevator is the force that the object experiences due to the acceleration of the elevator. This is different from the actual weight of the object, which is the force of gravity acting on the object.

2. How does the apparent weight change as the elevator moves?

The apparent weight of an object in an elevator changes as the elevator moves due to changes in acceleration. When the elevator is accelerating upwards, the apparent weight of the object will be greater than its actual weight. When the elevator is accelerating downwards, the apparent weight will be less than the actual weight.

3. Does the distance traveled by the elevator affect the apparent weight of an object?

Yes, the distance traveled by the elevator can affect the apparent weight of an object. This is because the acceleration of the elevator changes as it moves, and the apparent weight is dependent on the elevator's acceleration. So, if the elevator travels a greater distance, the apparent weight of an object will change more compared to if the elevator travels a shorter distance.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its apparent weight in an elevator?

The mass of an object does not affect its apparent weight in an elevator. The apparent weight of an object is determined by the force of acceleration acting on the object, not its mass. This means that regardless of an object's mass, its apparent weight will change in the same way as the elevator accelerates.

5. Is apparent weight the same as weightlessness in an elevator?

No, apparent weight and weightlessness are not the same in an elevator. Apparent weight is the force an object experiences due to acceleration, while weightlessness is the absence of any force or sensation of weight. In an elevator, weightlessness occurs when the elevator is in free fall and there is no acceleration acting on the object, causing it to feel weightless.