Calculate elevator acceleration using mass

In summary, a man with a mass of 65kg travels in an elevator and stands on a set of scales. At a given instant, the scales measure his weight to be 72kg. Using the equations f=ma, w=mg, and FN=mg+ma, we can determine that the acceleration of the elevator is approximately 10.86ms^-1.
aleah

Homework Statement

A man with a mass of 65kg is traveling in an elevator and stands on a set of scales, at a given instant the scales measure his weight to be 72kg, find the acceleration of the equation

Homework Equations

f=ma
w=mg
FN =mg+ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that the weight with gravity is 65kg and then changes to 72kg when he gets into the elevator because the elevator is pushing back onto him. I also know the elevator is going UP because of the positive change in weight.

Fn = 65kg + 72kg
Fn = 137kg

How do I find the acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
from the last of your equations!
:welcome:

I did use the last equation to find that but I am not entirely sure how to get a on its own
BvU said:

by the way, you should get used to writing forces in Newtons, not in kg
kg is a unit of mass

Likes aleah
BvU said:
by the way, you should get used to writing forces in Newtons, not in kg
kg is a unit of mass
BvU said:
do I divide the 65N by gravity to find m ? and then divide to get a on its own?

so you have fn = ma + mg and you have a scale that registers a force corresponding to m’g = 72 kg, in other words fn = ??
( the 137 you ventured is little high ...)

aleah said:
do I divide the 65N by gravity to find m ? and then divide to get a on its own?
yep!

thank you! I have the answer as the acceleration being 10.86ms-1

that would be a violent affair, if it would be the acceleration of the elevator alone ... :rolleyes:

aleah said:
with gravity is 65kg and then changes to 72kg
that's right. So the change corresponds to the acceleration

1. How does the mass of an elevator affect its acceleration?

The mass of an elevator affects its acceleration by increasing the amount of force needed to move it. As the mass of an elevator increases, the force required to accelerate it also increases. This means that a heavier elevator will have a slower acceleration compared to a lighter one.

2. What is the formula for calculating elevator acceleration?

The formula for calculating elevator acceleration is: a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the force applied to the elevator, and m is the mass of the elevator. This means that the acceleration of an elevator is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to the mass of the elevator.

3. How can the mass of an elevator be determined?

The mass of an elevator can be determined by weighing it using a scale or by calculating the total weight of the elevator and its contents. The mass can also be obtained by referencing the manufacturer's specifications for the elevator's weight.

4. What units are used to measure elevator mass and acceleration?

Elevator mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or pounds (lbs). Acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) or feet per second squared (ft/s^2).

5. How does friction affect elevator acceleration calculation?

Friction can affect elevator acceleration calculation by reducing the net force applied to the elevator. This means that the acceleration calculated may be slightly lower than the actual acceleration due to the presence of friction. However, for most practical purposes, the effect of friction on elevator acceleration can be ignored.