Eliminating Odd Powers in the Expansion of (1+x)^n

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lilia
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Lilia
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given an alphabet of {0,1,2}, how many "words" of length n are there that contain even 0s?

Homework Equations


Choose 2k 0s from n - C(n,2k), k=0,n/2

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to solve this for n=4 and n=5. For n=4 I got 12 (or, if 0000 is also counted then 13), for n=5 - 30. But I can't figure out the formula
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First, consider this problem : How many words of length ##n## contains ##2k## ##0##s?
There are ##^nC_{2k}## ways to choose the ##2k## places for ##2k## ##0##s. After setting ##0##s, we have ##n-2k## places to be filled up by ##1##s and ##2##s. We can use as many ##1##s and ##2##s as we like. So there are ##2^{n-2k}## ways to fill the rest ##n-2k## places by ##1##s and ##2##s.
Therefore, there are ##^nC_{2k}\cdot 2^{n-2k}## words of length ##n## that contain ##2k## 0s.
Can you figure out the formula now?
[Hints: Apply binomial theorem]
 
Last edited:
I know what is the binomial theorem but I don't know how to transform this formula to get the binomial form of it
 
Lilia said:
I know what is the binomial theorem but I don't know how to transform this formula to get the binomial form of it
Consider the expansion of (1+x)n. Your problem is that you get both odd and even powers of x. How could you add another expansion to make only the odd powers disappear?