1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about cycle with odd length

1. Nov 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the following problems let ##\alpha## be a cycle of length ##s##, and say
    ##\alpha = (a_1a_2 . . . a_s)##.

5) If ##s## is odd, ##\alpha## is the square of some cycle of length s. (Find it. Hint: Show ##\alpha = \alpha^{s+1}##)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know ##(12345)(12345) = (12345)## and ##(1234)(1234) = (13)(24)##. And I think I can prove this is true for any integer n, such that if a cycle ##\alpha## has an odd length, then squaring it produces another cycle of odd length, and ##\alpha## has an even length, s, then its square is the product of two disjoint cycles, each of length s/2. I guess i've pretty much restated the problem... i'm stuck.

For the hint.. I know ##\alpha## of length ##s## has ##\alpha## distinct powers but I'm not sure how to prove it.

Sorry this is so bare bones, thank you for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That doesn't look right. I get ##(12345)(12345)=(13524)##.
    The 'square root' of (12345) is (13524) because (13524)(13524)=(12345).

The hint is a good one. Have you tried proving it?
    What is the position in the cycle to which the ##k##th element ##a_k## is mapped by one application of ##\alpha## (in other words, find an expression in terms of ##k## for the index ##j## such that ##\alpha a_k=a_j##).

Then what about two applications of ##\alpha##. What about ##s## applications? What about ##s+1##?

4. Nov 24, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the help and correction, I agree that (12345)12345) = (13524)

So we can write ##\alpha^na_i = a_j## where ##j = (i + n) \mod s##
    Therefore ##\alpha a_i = a_{((i + 1) \text{mod s})}##
    and ##\alpha^{s+1}a_i = a_{((s+1+i) \text{mod s})}##
    Since (i + 1) = (s + 1 + i) (mod s)
    we have ##\alpha a_i = \alpha^{s+1}a_i##
    ##\alpha a_ia_i^{-1} = \alpha^{s+1}a_ia^{-1}##
    ##\alpha e = \alpha^{s+1}e##
    ##\alpha = \alpha^{s+1}##
    []

##\alpha^sa_i = a_{i + s} = a_i##
    ##\alpha^{s+1}a_i = a_{i + s + 1} = a_{i + 1}##

I'm not sure how to apply this to the original problem but ill keep thinking.. I also thought of this which I think is a proof in response to the "Find it" part of the hint.

Proof: Suppose ##\alpha## is a cycle of length ##s## where ##s## is an odd integer. Then we can write ##\alpha## as ##(a_1a_3...a_sa_2a_4...a_{s-1}).## But ##(a_1a_3...a_sa_2a_4...a_{s-1}) = (a_1a_2...a_s)(a_1a_2...a_s).## Let ##\beta = (a_1a_2..a_s).## Note that ##\beta## is a cycle of length s. Then ##\alpha = \beta^2##. This concludes the proof.

5. Nov 24, 2017 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Give that ##\alpha=\alpha^{s+1}## and ##s## is odd, how can you write ##\alpha## as the square of an integer power of itself?

6. Nov 24, 2017 #5

s is odd, so we can write s = 2k + 1, where k is an integer.
    We note that ##\alpha^n## is a cycle of length s for all integers n.
    Then ##\alpha = \alpha^{s+1} = \alpha^{2(k+1)} = \alpha^{k+1}\alpha^{k+1}##.
    so ##\alpha## is the square of ##\alpha^{k+1}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted