Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emergency, Help With Stats Please

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    I have a problem which I can't figure out how to do. Can you please explain how to do it.

1) Six 6 trees are randomly selected from an orange grove. Assume the median yield in the entire grove is 2.8 boxes per tree. What is the probability that the yields from 4 of the 6 trees will exceed 2.8 boxes?

Which type of distribution would i use to solve this question?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't matter what the distribution is (assuming the number of trees is large and there aren't a lot of trees tied at 2.8). Just assume that half are above and half below and use the binomial formula.

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    X ~ Bin (n,p)

n=6, but what does p equal to?

5. Feb 18, 2009 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the chance something is above the median?

6. Feb 18, 2009 #5
    I am guessing 50%?

Also I have another quick question

1. Highway paving material is a mix of asphalt, sand, gypsum, and other ingredients.
    Several Abatches@ of paving material are mixed each day. Asphalt content differs from batch to
    batch, with a normal distribution that has mean μ=100 lb per ton and standard deviation σ=6 lb
    per ton.

a. (15 pts) Sketch a histogram that might represent a sample of 200 batches.

How would I draw a historgram for this? I mean, how would I figure out how many bars I need and what should the width of it be. If he just told me to draw the curve, I would be able to draw it, but how do i draw the histogram. I know the histogram to have a shape of the normal curve, but how many bars and whats the width?

What does it mean by 200 batches?

7. Feb 18, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why are you guessing? What is the definition of "median"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook