Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emergent matter as form of ramification?

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1
    Ok, I doubt this belongs in this forum since it's purely speculative, but I was curious what work has been done in the direction of explaining emergent matter as a type of ramification? Namely, Sundance Bilson showed in a novel paper that he could create the first generation of the Standard Model through braid relations. Now a natural question is why would these braid relations arise? In the tamely ramified Langland's program braid relations arise as the Weyl group of an affine lie algebra. They describe center of a universal cover of a group or the fundamental group of the adjoint representation of a group. Has anyone tried to work out the details as to whether this mechanism could explain the internal symmetries of the standard model?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Look on arxiv for the papers of Yidun Wan.

Yidun Wan is one of a handful of people who have been researching this idea in the past couple of years.
    Jonathan Hackett is another.

4. Jan 19, 2009 #3

MTd2

Gold Member

They dont arise. They are just made to eventualy emulate the SM. They are beautiful, though, and work in a very subtle way. Not at all naive.

As Marcus said, check Yin DunWan:
    http://arxiv.org/find/hep-th/1/au:+Wan_Y/0/1/0/all/0/1

I never saw any explicit attempt in considering any supersymmetry, much less N4SYM. But I was thinking about that too... About the ramified case of the langlands, but I am almost there in trying to understand the gist of it.

Anyway, what kind of loop operator is that one of LQG?

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4
    On one side of the correspondence it's a Wilson loop operator, which is an element of the fundamental group. On the other side of the correspondence it's a t'Hooft / Wilson line operator over the Langland's dual gauge group, through a type of magnetic monopole phenomena. I'm really just speculating, but this would be consistent with the Witten Kapustin description. Granted, their paper only considered a topologically twisted version of N=4 supersymmetry, but I think the under riding principles of the correspondence are more robust than just applying to the GL twisted N = 4 case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?