Emergent mess of probabilities there will always be uncanny

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 4K views


I realize that I am getting off topic, but this thread reminds me of a quote from Stephen Hawking, “What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe?” Anyway, I would be glad to go wherever this train of thought leads. However, I will get back on topic. Perhaps, I will start a thread of my own! I'm new at this!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Gwilim said:
Are coincidences meaningful?

Meaningful is the tricky word in this question.

From Wikipedia:
A non-linguistic meaning is an actual or possible derivation from sentence, which is not associated with signs that have any original or primary intent of communication.


One would have to judge the value of the "derivation" they obtain from the coincidence.

Synchronicity (FNORD) in my personal research is often a way to derive new avenues of speculation. I also tend to pay attention to trains of thought that seem to involve a high occurrence of synchronicity.

Since the imagination plays an important role in relating ideas to one another an openess to the idea of Synchronicity may aid the reseacher but if not taken with a grain of salt it may derail the reseacher as well.

When, in my opinion, you become obsessed with a lucky object based on coincidences is a simple example of a valueless "derivation" associated with signs.