EMF when a loop is pulled away from a current-carrying wire

In summary: If you got it right and are satisfied, there is no need for posting the solution unless you wish to practice your LaTeX skills.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
On a horizontal table, there lies a very long straight wire (current I), and a square conduct-ing loop (side L). The loop is oriented at 45 degrees, with its closest corner a
distance L/2 from the wire. If the loop is pulleddirectly away from the wire with constant speed v,
what emf is generated?
Relevant Equations
Emf
Setting up the integral to find the flux that is giving me trouble.
I know that I will have to break up this integral into 2 parts, the first part account for when the start of the loop is increasing in area, and another right when I pass the halfway mark of the loop and the area begins to decrease again.

I have denoted the area as wds, where w is the the width and ds is it the infinitesimal distance from the wire.
I believe it is a correct approach to have w for the lower half of the loop to be ##(s-\frac{L}{2})##
I was told by a friend I should multiply w by 2 to account for both halves of the loop.

Where I feel uneasy is my w for the area of the loop decreasing in size. I have it as ##(s+\frac{L}{2})##. Does this choice make sense?
I also feel uneasy about picking my bounds. I know for sure that my first integral will start at L/2. Would the upper bound be ##2\sqrt(L)##?
My friend told me the first upper limit should be ##2\frac{\sqrt(L)}{2}##.

I would appreciate any help I can get with this problem.
IMG_1475DB28FE2F-1.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Doing two separate integrals is the clean approach. For the lower triangle, I would integrate with respect to variable ##y## which is measured from the lower corner to the strip of width ##dy## and length ##w##. Then the area of the strip is ##dA=2wdy## and its distance from the wire is ##s=L/2+y.## Put the flux together and integrate. Note that ##0\leq y \leq \frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}.## Treat the top triangle in a similar manner starting from the diagonal of the square using appropriate variable ##y'## and limits of integration.

Your last equation for ##\Phi## in your notes is incorrect. There is no distance to the strip in the denominator of the integrand.

kuruman said:
Doing two separate integrals is the clean approach. For the lower triangle, I would integrate with respect to variable ##y## which is measured from the lower corner to the strip of width ##dy## and length ##w##. Then the area of the strip is ##dA=2wdy## and its distance from the wire is ##s=L/2+y.## Put the flux together and integrate. Note that ##0\leq y \leq \frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}.## Treat the top triangle in a similar manner starting from the diagonal of the square using appropriate variable ##y'## and limits of integration.

Your last equation for ##\Phi## in your notes is incorrect. There is no distance to the strip in the denominator of the integrand.
Ah I think your distance from the wiire ##s=L/2+y.## is a lot easier to visualize forme.

So if I integrate wrt y, then: ##\vec B=\frac{μI}{2piy}##.
If I try to evaluate the lower corner my integral should look like this (ignoring constants for now):
##\int_0^\frac{L}{\sqrt(2)} 2(\frac{L}{2}+y)dy ## ?

First off in LaTeX you enter pi as \pi to render it properly.

Secondly, the field due to an infinite wire at distance ##s## from the wire is ##B=\dfrac{\mu_0I}{2\pi r}.## Make a fresh drawing showing ##y## as previously defined. Look at the drawing. What is ##r## in terms of ##y## and ##L##?

Thirdly, the element of flux that you have to integrate is ##d\Phi=BdA##. Write separate expressions for ##B## and ##dA##. Multiply them. Show all your work.

kuruman said:
First off in LaTeX you enter pi as \pi to render it properly.

Secondly, the field due to an infinite wire at distance ##s## from the wire is ##B=\dfrac{\mu_0I}{2\pi r}.## Make a fresh drawing showing ##y## as previously defined. Look at the drawing. What is ##r## in terms of ##y## and ##L##?

Thirdly, the element of flux that you have to integrate is ##d\Phi=BdA##. Write separate expressions for ##B## and ##dA##. Multiply them. Show all your work.
I understand what you are saying. I worked it out with a friend via your method and we got the right answer. Thank you. I will post my work when I get the chance.

Likes kuruman
guyvsdcsniper said:
I understand what you are saying. I worked it out with a friend via your method and we got the right answer. Thank you. I will post my work when I get the chance.
If you got it right and are satisfied, there is no need for posting the solution unless you wish to practice your LaTeX skills. I asked you to post just in case you got stuck or made a mistake somewhere. Good job!

Likes guyvsdcsniper

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic force, which is a force that is created when a charged particle moves through a magnetic field.

2. How is EMF created when a loop is pulled away from a current-carrying wire?

When a loop is pulled away from a current-carrying wire, the magnetic field around the wire changes. This change in magnetic field creates an electric field, which in turn creates an EMF.

3. What factors affect the strength of the EMF created?

The strength of the EMF created when a loop is pulled away from a current-carrying wire depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the loop is pulled, and the size and shape of the loop and wire.

4. How is the direction of the EMF determined?

The direction of the EMF is determined by the direction of the change in the magnetic field. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the EMF, with the thumb representing the direction of the motion and the fingers representing the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What is the significance of EMF when a loop is pulled away from a current-carrying wire?

The creation of EMF when a loop is pulled away from a current-carrying wire is an example of electromagnetic induction, which is the basis for many important technologies such as generators and transformers. It also helps us understand the relationship between electricity and magnetism.