Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(empirical) relation between MSE and condition number

1. Feb 28, 2014 #1
    Hi,

It is a well known fact that in an inverse linear problem low condition numbers have low noise amplification and therefore decrease the error.

So I wanted to test this: I draw random (skinny) matrices A, calculate y=A*c where c is a known coefficient vector, add some noise and calculate c from Least Squares. I would expect at least a small correlation between the MSE for c and the condition number.

But this is what it looks:

untitled.png

Yes, is it arbitrary, uncorrelated, this does not make sense at all! For example, a (relatively) low condition number of 1.5 can produce everything from the best (-79dB) down to the worst (-56dB). Changing the parameters does not change anything

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or which (wrong?) assumptions I make?

Thanks

PS: Here is the MATLAB code

Code (Text):

K = 5;
    M = 50;
    numtrials = 1000;
    c = randn(K,1);
    for trial=1:numtrials
        A = randn(M,K);
        y = A*c;
        y = add_noise(y, 55); % add 55dB noise via randn(...)
        c_rec = A \ y; %c_rec = pinv(A)*y;
        NMSE_c = 20*log10(norm(c - c_rec)/norm(c));
        plot(cond(A), NMSE_c, 'bo');
        hold on;
        xlabel('Condition number');
        ylabel('NMSE of coefficients');
        drawnow;
    end

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2014 #2
    Well, this is not my field but I will try to give you some advices. What's happen if you add a 0db noise ? Also, are you sure that the function add_noise is bug free ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook