What forms the endosperm of a gymnosperm seed?

• Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date
In summary, the endosperm of a gymnosperm seed is formed from the primary endosperm, which is derived from the megagametophyte. This process involves mitosis and the transfer of food from the nucellus. The megagametophyte also produces the archegonia in this process. This information can be found in the link provided.
Suraj M
Gold Member
What forms the endosperm of a gymnosperm seed?? Some book said the 3 other macrospores which don't form the archegonia. I sthat right?
i just know that the stored food is transferred from the nucellus, but where does the diploid endosperm emerge from?

Primary endosperm (haploid tissue (n) ) is derived from the megagametophyte. The ontogenesis of primary endosperm is believed to derive from the megaprothallium in seed ferns. So, I do not know where your idea came from. See here:
http://www.seedbiology.de/evolution.asp#jurassic

oH . thanks for the link!
But what i don't still understand is that, the megagametophyte forms the prim. endosperm and also produces the archegonia!??
jim mcnamara said:
So, I do not know where your idea came from
Are you reffering to the formation of endosperm from the rest of the 3 megaspores or that the food is transferred to the endosperm from the nucellus?

Endo sperm formation. Primary endosperm is haploid. It has to derive from mitosis. It has to derive from "neighboring" haploid tissue. That is the only point I'm making. The answer to your second question is: yes you understand correctly. It forms both.

Megagametogenesis in gynospermae: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaspore

Related to What forms the endosperm of a gymnosperm seed?

1. What is endosperm in gymnosperms?

Endosperm in gymnosperms is a tissue found within the seeds of gymnosperm plants. It serves as a food source for the developing embryo.

2. How is endosperm formed in gymnosperms?

Endosperm in gymnosperms is formed through double fertilization, where one sperm fertilizes the egg to form the embryo and the other sperm fertilizes the central cell to form the endosperm.

3. What is the function of endosperm in gymnosperms?

The main function of endosperm in gymnosperms is to provide nutrition for the developing embryo. It also helps with seed germination and provides a source of energy for the growing seedling.

4. Is endosperm present in all gymnosperm seeds?

No, endosperm is not present in all gymnosperm seeds. Some gymnosperms, such as conifers, have endosperm while others, like ginkgo and cycads, do not.

5. Can endosperm in gymnosperms be used for human consumption?

Yes, endosperm in some gymnosperm seeds, such as the pine nut, is edible and commonly used for human consumption. However, not all gymnosperm endosperm is safe for consumption, so it is important to research before consuming.