1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Calculations please check work (thanks)

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    Please someone check to see if on the right track:

A woman lifts a barbell 2.0m in 5.0s, beginning and ending at rest. If she lifts the same distance in 10s, the work done by her is:

I said it would be four times as much because I used 1/2mv^2. I placed the v I calculated from v=d/t into the kinetic equation. (.4)^2 (.2)^2
    .16 is four times as much as .04. Is this right.

A 2kg block is thrown upward from a point 20m above the earth's surface. At what height above the earth's surface will the gravitational potential energy of the earth-block systme have increased by 500J.

work:

mgh= 2(9.81)(20m)= 392.4 --> potential
    500J= mgh
    500J = (2kg)(9.81) (h)
    h= 25m

If someone could point me in the right direction of how to do this problem I would appreciate it. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2

rsk

I don't think so - I think the work will be the same - Work Done = Force x distance - taking longer means less power but the same work.

This one I think is correct - except the actual height is 45, you need to add the 20m you started with.. When you're as close to the earth as this, the mgh formula is fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?