Energy Conservation of a toy gun

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
salman213
Messages
301
Reaction score
1
1. A toy gun fires a 9.41-g projectile disc by using a compressed sprint (k=1.72 x 10^3 N/m) and a 13.1 cm long barrel. As the disc travvels through the barrel it experiences a constant frictional force of 0.13 N. If the spring is compressed 14 mm what is the speed of the disc as it leaves the gun?



2. Ek = 1/2mv^2
Ee = 1/2kx^2
W = F*d




3. DeltaEe - W = DeltaEk ?

1/2kx^2 - F*d = 1/2mv^2
1/2(1.72 x 10^3)(0.014)^2 - (0.13*0.131) = 1/2(0.00941)(v)^2
v = 5.67 m/s BUT THATS WRONG, I have a physics exam some day this week and i was just reviewin gmy notes and trying old review problems he gave us..and on the review it says the answer to this question is 1.8 m/s...i don't get what I am doing wrong :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
im not what's wrong but after going through it again if i make v = 1.8m/s as it says the answer is then the Ek part equals 0.015 while the left equals 0.15 so maybe imd oing a conversion mistake but i chekced i don't see where :S:S:S
 
hmm come on guys I am sure someones knows what I am doing wrong this is grade 12physics :S :S :S
 
salman213 said:
Is it that hard? or no one wants to help lool..

there has been many many problems of this kind posting during these weeks. We who hang around on this forum have studies to do ourselves and can not help everyone all the time.

1. find out how much potential energy there is in the spring when pulled back in the initial position.

2. All this energy is then reformed as kinetic energy + friction work.

3. Find out the work done by the friction, if the force is given and the lenght, what is then the work done by the friction.

4. The energy remained is kinetic energy of bullet.
 
2. Ek = 1/2mv^2
Ee = 1/2kx^2
W = F*d



3. DeltaEe = DeltaEk + W

1/2kx^2 - F*d = 1/2mv^2

1/2(1.72 x 10^3)(0.014)^2 - (0.13*0.131) = 1/2(0.00941)(v)^2
v = 5.67 m/s

Does that look right to you? cause that's what i did and i don't get 1.8m/s which is supposedly the right answer
 
I checked your arithmetic. I also seem to think that your equation is right. I would take it up with the prof. It's possible his answer to the review problem was wrong.