1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Density in the Electric Field of a Charged Sphere

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charged isolated metal sphere of diameter 10cm has a potential of 8000V relative to V=0 at infinity. Calculate the energy density in the electric field near the surface of the sphere

2. Relevant equations
    u=1/2[tex]\(epsilon x E^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried this like an example given in my book, which gives the q value, but since q=CV, cant i find C of the sphere, solve for q, put that into E, and subsequently solve for u? The answer in my book is .11 J/m^3, but when i use the above strategy, I get around .028. Could someone point me in the right direction?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2
    Express V in terms of q and r, then solve for q. It's a slightly roundabout way to calculate the energy density this way, but since you want to find q, this will work.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  4. Oct 13, 2008 #3
    I tried that using V=kq/r and put q into E=kq/r^2. I also got E using V=Ed and got about 80000 V/m or N/C both times. I still get around .028 J/m^3 for my answer when i put that into the density formula.
  5. Oct 13, 2008 #4
    Oh, you probably just confused diameter and radius.
  6. Oct 14, 2008 #5
    Thats exactly what i did wrong. I corrected and got .11J/m^3. thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?