Energy Density in the Electric Field of a Charged Sphere

In summary, the task is to find the energy density in the electric field near the surface of a charged isolated metal sphere with a potential of 8000V and a diameter of 10cm. The solution involves expressing V in terms of q and r, solving for q, and then using that value to calculate the energy density. The mistake made was confusing diameter and radius, which resulted in an incorrect answer initially.
UWGGEOL

Homework Statement

A charged isolated metal sphere of diameter 10cm has a potential of 8000V relative to V=0 at infinity. Calculate the energy density in the electric field near the surface of the sphere

Homework Equations

u=1/2[tex]\(epsilon x E^2)
E=kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried this like an example given in my book, which gives the q value, but since q=CV, can't i find C of the sphere, solve for q, put that into E, and subsequently solve for u? The answer in my book is .11 J/m^3, but when i use the above strategy, I get around .028. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Express V in terms of q and r, then solve for q. It's a slightly roundabout way to calculate the energy density this way, but since you want to find q, this will work.

Last edited:
I tried that using V=kq/r and put q into E=kq/r^2. I also got E using V=Ed and got about 80000 V/m or N/C both times. I still get around .028 J/m^3 for my answer when i put that into the density formula.

Oh, you probably just confused diameter and radius.

Thats exactly what i did wrong. I corrected and got .11J/m^3. thanks

1. What is energy density in the electric field of a charged sphere?

Energy density in the electric field of a charged sphere refers to the amount of energy stored per unit volume in the electric field surrounding a charged sphere. It is a measure of the energy per unit volume that is present in the electric field.

2. How is energy density related to the electric field strength of a charged sphere?

The energy density in the electric field of a charged sphere is directly proportional to the square of the electric field strength. This means that if the electric field strength is doubled, the energy density will increase by a factor of four.

3. What factors affect the energy density in the electric field of a charged sphere?

The energy density in the electric field of a charged sphere is affected by the charge of the sphere, the size of the sphere, and the distance from the sphere. A larger charge, a smaller size, or a closer distance will result in a higher energy density.

4. How is the energy density calculated for a charged sphere?

The energy density in the electric field of a charged sphere can be calculated using the formula U = 1/2 * ε0 * E2, where U is the energy density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and E is the electric field strength.

5. How does the energy density in the electric field of a charged sphere affect the behavior of the sphere?

The energy density in the electric field of a charged sphere affects the behavior of the sphere by determining the amount of energy that is stored in the electric field. This energy can influence the movement and interactions of the charged particles within the sphere, as well as the interactions between the sphere and other charged objects in its vicinity.