Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy distribution of backscattered electrons

1. Oct 25, 2014 #1
    I would like to ask what does mean energy distribution ,and how can I calculate the energy distribution of transmitted electrons .
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The electrons will get different energies - some more, some less. This is called "energy distribution".
    What is the setup you consider?

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3
    Hi,
    I want to know the function of enegy distribution of transmitted electrons.
    thanks mfb.

5. Oct 27, 2014 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Have you compared what you wrote with the title of the thread that you made? They don't match!

Secondly, there is no such thing as a universal energy distribution of transmitted electrons. That is why mfb asked for the setup of the experiment! The transmitted electrons distribution for, say, tunneling electrons is different than the transmitted distribution in a TEM experiment! There isn't a generic, universal distribution!

So don't be lazy, be explicit in what you want!

BTW, this is not a HEP topic.

Zz.

6. Oct 28, 2014 #5
    Hi,

I have calculated the transmission coefficient of electron with MONTE CARLO simulation,so I want to calculate the energy distribution and I didn't find the function of energy distribution of transmitted electrons.
    thanks

7. Oct 28, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

The same simulations should give you the energy distribution for your specific setup.

8. Oct 30, 2014 #7
    I have to insert the function of distribution in my program to get it that is why I search for the function of energy disribution of transmitted electrons.
    thanks for your help

9. Oct 30, 2014 #8

mfb

2016 Award

If your program calculates the transmission coefficient in a material, then you do not have to know the energy behind that material in advance. That does not make sense at all.

Your program needs the energy distribution of the incoming electrons, but that is something completely different.

10. Oct 30, 2014 #9
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook