1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Distribution of Particles in a Liquid

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1
    If I'm a small particle in a liquid in temperature T, molecules from every direction collide in me f times per second, what is the probability that I'll collide with a particle with energy ε? What is the average energy for collisions?

I think I can rephrase it to "how many times per second there will be collision with energy ε±Δε?" or "what is the energy distribution of particles in a liquid?"

If it were gas, the answer would be given by the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, but it is a (very general) liquid. Can someone help?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe that the term "liquid" sends you astray. You should replace it with "fluid".

4. Aug 1, 2007 #3
    I don't really get the hint...
    Do you suggest that a liquid phase can be treated through the Van der Waals equation? (Not that I see how it helps so fast)
    After more searching I truly doubt now that a general formula like the Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution exists at all... Am I wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?