Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Distribution of Particles in a Liquid

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1
    If I'm a small particle in a liquid in temperature T, molecules from every direction collide in me f times per second, what is the probability that I'll collide with a particle with energy ε? What is the average energy for collisions?

I think I can rephrase it to "how many times per second there will be collision with energy ε±Δε?" or "what is the energy distribution of particles in a liquid?"

If it were gas, the answer would be given by the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, but it is a (very general) liquid. Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe that the term "liquid" sends you astray. You should replace it with "fluid".
  4. Aug 1, 2007 #3
    I don't really get the hint...
    Do you suggest that a liquid phase can be treated through the Van der Waals equation? (Not that I see how it helps so fast)
    After more searching I truly doubt now that a general formula like the Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution exists at all... Am I wrong?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?