1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in spring (slingshot problems)

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    **Sorry I just noticed I posted this is the wrong forum, I don't see any delete button could a moderator move this to coursework/homework forum?

This is a problem that I kept getting wrong and never understood why. I'm not asking for answers just help on tackling the question. I have tried it before and I only got a. right. I am paraphrasing the question by the way.

11. There is a slingshot. It can be stretched 2.00 meters from its rest position with a force of 760N. They place a 6.50kg bowling ball in the sling and pull it down 2.90 meters from rest position. There is only vertical movement.

A)Find spring constant.
    I got k=380N/m.

B)What is the total energy stored in the sling when the bowling ball is ready to be fired.
    I tried Energy=0.5(k)(x)^2 where k is from A) and x is 2.90 meters. I got 1597.9 J

C)Total energy of bowling ball when it leaves the slingshot.
    I tried Energy stored in spring. 1597.9 J

D)What is the kinetic energy when the ball leaves the sling?
    I tried Energy stored in spring - potential energy used to gain 2.90 meters. 1413.17 J

F)Ignoring air Resistance what is maximum height.
    I tried kinetic energy = potential energy (Solving for height in potential energy) ~22.184m + 2.9m from rest point.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What other form of potential energy is operating here?

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    I think gravitational potential energy and elastic potential energy are the two I have to work with. Are you hinting at me missing one in my calculations? Would it happen to deal with what my x=0 is set at?

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4
    it seems right to me, but i think its probably easier to go right from elastic potential to graviational potential instead of converting your energy twice. is it possible that the question wants you to use g = Gmm/(r+h) as your gravitational acceleration, or wants you to take into account drag forces?

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Can you define the difference between the "total energy" of part C and the "kinetic energy" of part D? Since the question did not specify zero references for the potential energies involved, it's a bit ambiguous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook