Energy level of a 'protonium atom' (answer Check)

In summary, protonium is a type of exotic atom produced in 1989 with a structure similar to hydrogen, but with an antiproton replacing the electron. In this problem, the electromagnetic interaction between the antiproton and the proton is considered. The energy emitted when protonium undergoes a state transition from n=4 to n=2 is calculated using the Rydberg energy formula, with the reduced mass used in place of the mass of the particles. The calculated value is found to be 1.2 x 10^4 eV, which is a more reasonable result.
TFM

Homework Statement

In 1989, a new type of exotic atom called protonium was produced. Its
structure is hydrogen-like, with the electron replaced by an antiproton. As
the antiparticle of the proton, an antiproton has the same mass but
opposite charge. In this problem, you should consider only the
electromagnetic interaction between the antiproton and the proton, by
analogy with ordinary hydrogen. The mass of the proton is 1836 times
larger than the mass of an electron.

2)

What is the energy in eV of a photon emitted when protonium
undergoes a transition from the state with principal quantum
number n = 4 to the state with n = 2?

Homework Equations

[tex] E_n = \frac{E_r}{n} [/tex]

[tex] E_r = -\frac{m}{2\hbar^2}\left(\frac{e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\right)^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I have done this question, but my answer seems really large...

using:

[tex] \Delta E_{4 > 2} = \frac{E_r}{4^2} - \frac{E_r}{2^2} [/tex]

using the constants:

m = 1.67 e-27
hbar = 1.054e-34
e = -1.6e-19
epsilon-naught = 8.85e-12

I have gotten the Rydberg energy, [tex] E_r = 1.73 * 10^{13} [/tex]

I have thus got a value for the energy shift of -3.24 e12 Joules, which is [tex]2 *10^{31}[/tex] eV. This seems to big. does this answer seem reasonable...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's going to be large, because [tex]E_r[/tex] is proportional to mass and there's a lot more of it in this "protonium" than in hydrogen. But I do see a couple of things to fix: I think you may have done your calculation of [tex]E_r[/tex] incorrectly - I get a value on the order of 10^4 eV. Go back and check that.

Also, when you have a two-particle system, you use the reduced mass in place of m:
[tex]\mu = \frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1 + m_2}[/tex]

I expected it to be large, just not that large.

Okay, so the reduced mass is [tex] 8.35 * 10^{-28}kg [/tex] from previous question. :redface:

Okay so if I work through this...

[tex] E_r = -\frac{\mu}{2\hbar^2}\left(\frac{e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \right)^2 [/tex]

[tex] -\frac{\mu}{2\hbar^2} = -\frac{8.35*10^{-28}}{2*(1.054*10^{-34})^2} = 3.76 * 10^{40} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0} = \frac{(1.6*10^{-19})^2}{4\pi*(8.85*10^{-12})} = 2.3 * 10^{-28}[/tex]

square this:

[tex] 5.3 * 10^{-56} [/tex]

put together gives:

[tex] E_r = 1.99*10^{-15} [/tex]

?

What are the units of that?

Always keep track of units - if not explicitly, at least make sure you know what units your final answer is going to be in, and write them down! You can't get a correct answer without the correct units.

The units would be Joules since:

[tex]

\mu = kg

\hbar = Js

e = C

\epsilon_0 = C^2/nm^2

[/tex]

also this does convert to [tex] 1.2 x 10^4 [/tex] eV.

And this new value gives me a change of energy of [tex] -2.25 * 10^3 [/tex] eV, which seems more reasonable.

That agrees with my calculations :smile:

Excellent. :smile:

Many Thanks.

What is a "protonium atom"?

A protonium atom is a bound state of a proton and an antiproton. It is a short-lived atom that can only exist in a high-energy environment.

What is the energy level of a protonium atom?

The energy level of a protonium atom can vary depending on the specific excited state it is in. However, the most commonly observed energy level is the ground state, which has an energy of approximately 2.04 GeV (gigaelectronvolts).

How is the energy level of a protonium atom determined?

The energy level of a protonium atom can be determined through experiments that measure the energy of the emitted photons when the atom transitions from one energy state to another. The energy levels can also be calculated using quantum mechanics equations.

What factors can affect the energy level of a protonium atom?

The energy level of a protonium atom can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other particles. It can also be influenced by the relative orientation of the proton and antiproton within the atom.

What is the significance of studying the energy level of a protonium atom?

Studying the energy level of a protonium atom can provide insights into the fundamental forces and interactions between particles. It can also help us better understand the properties of antimatter and the behavior of particles in high-energy environments.