Energy needed to penetrate each object

• Thread starter PhysicS FAN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: Apologies - no disparagement intended if OP doesn't know the formula ##ΔE=½μΔv^2## - it's just a geeky result which can be derived and which I have found useful solving problems of this nature.
PhysicS FAN
1. The problem statement, all variables and the known data
A bullet (mass m) is shot with an initial velocity (V) towards an object with mass M=3m as shown in the picture. The energy needed to penetrate the object is 30J.
The same bullet is shot with a velocity (v) heading to an identical object with the one mentioned above. If the coefficient of friction is μ=0 then what is the necessary energy so that the bullet penetrates the object.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

.I tried to use energy theorems for the first case and I found some equations involving the speed of bullet. The same and for the 2nd case. The problem is that I can not find a way to connect the equations of the 2 cases. Please help me.

Attachments

• WIN_20190309_22_22_11_Pro (2).jpg
    WIN_20190309_22_22_11_Pro (2).jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 281
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first case, where the object is up against the wall, all the energy goes into penetrating the object. But in the second case that cannot happen since the object is free to move and thus some of the energy of the bullet must be used for the overall KE after the collision. Hint: What's conserved in any collision?

Doc Al said:
In the first case, where the object is up against the wall, all the energy goes into penetrating the object. But in the second case that cannot happen since the object is free to move and thus some of the energy of the bullet must be used for the overall KE after the collision. Hint: What's conserved in any collision?
I'm stuck I don't know how to continue. The reason is that I can not combine any equations and so I can't proceed

Attachments

• 53390447_2094012444008918_7996394790574882816_n.jpg
    53390447_2094012444008918_7996394790574882816_n.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 163
Try using the relation ##p^2=2Km## in the first case and see how you can combine and use that in the second case

TheMercury79 said:
Try using the relation ##p^2=2Km## in the first case and see how you can combine and use that in the second case
Well there is no difference since the Kinetic energy is different, the momentum is different and that won't lead anywhere

But the momentum in the first case gives you some information on the maximum momentum the material in the object can withstand.
This limit will be the same in the second case, but you also need that additional momentum that makes it move. So yes, the momentum is different, but part of it from the first case is still there

Last edited:
PhysicS FAN said:
I'm stuck I don't know how to continue. The reason is that I can not combine any equations and so I can't proceed
In the second case the bullet flies at speed v. At what speed will the combined bullet and block move? How much energy is needed for that?

I'm not sure about the wording of this question and the significance of v vs V in respect of velocity. The question appears to be asking for a comparision of energy loss in a perfectly inelastic collision given a) 3m mass can't move b) 3m mass can move. We can't do such a comparision unless the bullet is fired with the same velocity in a) and b).

$$ ΔE = ½μΔv^2 $$

neilparker62 said:
We can't do such a comparision unless the bullet is fired with the same velocity in a) and b).
No, the question is ok. The energy to penetrate is the same in both cases. The question is asking how much extra energy (hence extra velocity) the bullet needs when the block is not restrained.

Ok - got it. Thanks for the clarification. Above equation should assist if the OP is familiar with it (probably not!)

neilparker62 said:
Ok - got it. Thanks for the clarification. Above equation should assist if the OP is familiar with it (probably not!)
Apologies - no disparagement intended if OP doesn't know the formula ##ΔE=½μΔv^2## - it's just a geeky result which can be derived and which I have found useful solving problems of this nature.

1. What is meant by "energy needed to penetrate an object"?

The energy needed to penetrate an object refers to the amount of energy required to pass through or break through the object's barrier or surface. This can vary depending on the properties and thickness of the object.

2. How is the energy needed to penetrate an object calculated?

The energy needed to penetrate an object can be calculated using the equation E=hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the energy. This equation is based on the principle that higher frequencies of energy have more penetrating power.

3. What factors affect the energy needed to penetrate an object?

The energy needed to penetrate an object is affected by various factors, including the type of energy being used, the material and thickness of the object, and the angle of incidence of the energy. Different types of energy, such as light or sound, may have different levels of penetrating power.

4. How does the energy needed to penetrate an object relate to its density?

In general, objects with higher densities require more energy to penetrate them. This is because denser materials have more tightly packed particles, making it harder for energy to pass through them. However, the specific relationship between energy and density can vary depending on the type of energy being used.

5. Can the energy needed to penetrate an object be reduced or increased?

Yes, the energy needed to penetrate an object can be reduced or increased by changing certain factors. For example, increasing the angle of incidence of the energy can decrease the amount of energy needed to penetrate an object. Additionally, using higher frequencies of energy can also increase the penetrating power and reduce the energy needed to penetrate an object.