1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of a Dipole in a Uniform E Field

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The graph shows the potential energy of an electric dipole which is in a constant electric field; only the electric force is acting on the dipole. Consider a dipole that oscillates between +/- 51 degrees.

What is the dipole's kinetic energy when it is aligned with the electric field?

2. Relevant equations

Known: At 180, U= 2*10^-6 J

3. The attempt at a solution

In a previous section, the mechanical energy was asked for. Using U=pEcos(theta), I put substituted U=2.0*10^-6, theta=180degrees, and kept pE constant. pE was calculated to be -2.0*10^-6 J, then reworked the problem with a theta=51degrees to find the mechanical energy= -1.26*10^-6 J.

My understanding is that when the dipole is aligned with the Electric Field, the theta between them is zero and this is the potential energy's lowest value. I figure that the potential energy's lowest value would correlate with the kinetic energy's highest value and the answer would be 2.0*10^-6. This is incorrect. Also tried -2.0, 0, 1.26, -1.26, and -4 all *10^-6.

I have the problem wrong using all my attempts, but what is logic to figuring it out?

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The dipole oscillates betwen +/- 51 degrees. It never reaches 180 degree. What is the KE and potential energy at the maximum deviation from the direction of the electric field?

4. Sep 7, 2010 #3
    I found the maximum potential energy to be 1.26*10^-6 J at 51degrees

5. Sep 7, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take care, the energy of the dipole is -pEcos(θ). At 51°, it is -1.26*10^-6 J. As the KE is zero there, the total energy of the oscillating dipole is -1.26*10^-6 J. The potential energy of the dipole when aligned with the field is -pEcos(θ) = -2.0*10^-6 J, opposite to the energy at θ=180 degree. If the total energy is -1.26*10^-6 J and the potential energy is -2.0*10^-6 J, how much is the kinetic energy?

ehild

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook