Energy of a photon absorbed by an elementary particle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
saridy
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An elementary particle of mass M completely absorbs a photon, after which its mass is 1.01M.
a) What was the energy of the incoming photon?
b) Why is that energy greater than 0.01Mc2?


Homework Equations



E = mc2 or Δm = Δ E/c2
E = γmc2

The Attempt at a Solution



The only thing I can see doing is Δm = 1.01M - M = 0.01M = E/c2
But that gives E = 0.01Mc2 , which according to part b is not the answer. How do you solve this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
After further reading, I'll add these equations:
(mc2)2 = E2 - (pc)2
E = pc (for m = 0)
 
OKAY. so I got an answer of 0.01005Mc^2, so I'd appreciate if someone could check/correct that for me. I still don't know how to explain it in part b.