Energy of a QM system, stationary states

In summary, the rules for total energy, kinetic energy, and potential energy in a QM system can be confusing. The total energy does not have to be positive or greater than zero, as it is often treated as negative due to the arbitrary choice of setting the zero potential at the edge of the Universe. In a system described by the given potential function, the energy can exist in different ranges and for stationary states to be physically possible, the energy must be within a certain range. Additionally, if a wave packet has an odd initial state, it will remain odd forever due to the coefficients of even states being zero. The zero potential in a system is arbitrary, and can be set at different points in space to better understand the potential energy.
yeahhyeahyeah
I'm pretty confused by the rules regarding the total energy, the kinetic energy, and potential of a QM system.

Does the total energy have to be positive or greater than zero? And if so, why not? I don't really understand what it means to have a negative total energy of a system I guess. I know that we treat a lot of potentials as negative, like gravitational potential, but I guess I have never found complaint with it until now.

As an example, what if you had a system described by:

V = -V0 for x< -a
0 for |x|<a
V0 for x>a

What ranges can its energy exist in? And in what range does its energy have to be for the stationary states to be physically possible (this only happens when it is a bound state?)

Lastly, this is a kind of unrelated question, but say you have a wave packet whose initial state is such that [tex]\Psi[/tex](-x) = [tex]\Psi[/tex] (x)

In other words, an odd function. Now, because of its oddness, it can only be comprised of the odd (sin functions) stationary states. If I add time evolution, since the coefficients of any even states is 0, there will NEVER in time EVER be a contribution from any even states.

So basically, if the system starts out odd/even it will remain like so forever?

Physics news on Phys.org
The zero for potential energy is arbitrary ... for instance, we often take objects on the ground as having zero gravitational potential energy, they have positive mgh as they go higher and negative for lower than the ground. But we could equally put the zero at the top of a building or at the bottom of the sea - or at the center of the Earth. In order to get general equations, we have to do better than that and what we usually do is set the zero at the edge of the Universe ... eg. the potential energy is how much work you have to do to remove the object to infinity.

This is why you will find atomic potentials expressed as negative numbers.

In your example, you have defined the zero potential in a particular region of space.

A particle can have a negative kinetic energy if it is at position x < -a - and may tunnel slightly into the barrier at x=a. The rest of the wave reflects to give standing wave solutions.

You should be able to complete the picture for higher energies.

1. What is the energy of a quantum mechanical (QM) system?

The energy of a QM system refers to the total amount of energy that the system possesses, including both its kinetic and potential energy. In the context of QM, energy is described by the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a system.

2. How is the energy of a QM system calculated?

The energy of a QM system is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles. The solution to this equation gives the possible energy levels, or stationary states, of the system.

3. What are stationary states in a QM system?

Stationary states in a QM system refer to the energy levels that a system can occupy without changing its energy. These states are also known as eigenstates, and they are characterized by specific quantum numbers that describe the energy, position, and other properties of a particle.

4. Can a QM system have multiple stationary states?

Yes, a QM system can have multiple stationary states. These states correspond to different energy levels that a particle can occupy. The lowest energy level is known as the ground state, and the higher energy levels are referred to as excited states.

5. How does the energy of a QM system change over time?

The energy of a QM system does not change over time if the system remains in a stationary state. However, if the system interacts with its environment, it can transition to a different stationary state with a different energy. This is known as a quantum jump, and it is described by the principles of quantum mechanics.