Energy of an atom in an excited state

In summary, the problem involves an atom in an excited state emitting a photon with a wavelength of 330 nm during the movement between two energy niveaus. The last niveau has an energy of -7.7 x 10^-19 J. Using the wave formula, the frequency of the emitted photon is calculated to be 9.09 x 10^14 Hz. Using the formula for the energy of a photon, the energy of the emitted photon is found to be 6.03 x 10^-19 J. Combining this with Bohr's formula, the energy of the atom in the excited state is calculated to be -0.17 x 10^-18 J. The error in the book was due to a mistake
mstud

Homework Statement

An atom which is in an excited state, can emit a photon with the wavelength of 330 nm at during the movement between two "energy niveaus". The last niveau has the energy [tex]-4.8 \cdot 10^{-19}J[/tex]. What is the energy of the atom in the excited state?

Homework Equations

Not relevant for my conseptual question, but for solving the problem

the wave formula:[tex]c=f \lambda[/tex] and the formula for the energy of the photon[tex]E_{photon} =hf[/tex] where [tex]h=6.63 \cdot 10^{-34}[/tex]

Also Bohrs formula: [tex]E_{state}=-\frac{B}{n^2}[/tex] where n is the number of the state

The Attempt at a Solution

I just wonder if I have understood the problem right...

I can use the wavelength to find the energy of the emitted photon . Then I combine the formula for the energy of the photon with Bohrs formula to find the energy of the atom in the excited state, right?

The energy in the excited state will be the energy in the last niveau plus the energy of the emitted photon, won't it?

These are my calculations:

The frequency for the emitted photon: [tex]c=f\lambda[/tex] gives [tex]f=\frac{c}{\lambda}=\frac{3.00 \cdot 10^8 m/sec}{330 \cdot 10^{-9} m}= 9.09 \cdot 10^{14} s^{-1}= 9.09 \cdot 10^{14} Hz[/tex]

The energy of the photon: [tex]E_{photon} = 6.63 \cdot 10^{-34} Js \cdot 9.09 s^{-1} = 6.03 \cdot 10^{-19}[/tex]

The energy of the atom in the excited state: [tex]E_{excited}=-4.8 \cdot 10^{-19} J + 6.03 \cdot 10^{-19}=1.23 \cdot 10^{-19}[/tex]

However the answer shall be, according to my book: [tex]-0,17 \cdot 10^{-18} J[/tex] (I also know I shouldn't have got a positive answer)

Can anybody see what has gone wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There was an error in my book.

The energy of the last niveau should be [itex]-7.7 \cdot 10^{-19}[/itex] in the problem text.

Thus my problem is now solved :smile:

1. What is an excited state of an atom?

An excited state of an atom is when an electron has absorbed energy and moved to a higher energy level or orbital. This can happen through various processes such as absorption of light, collisions with other atoms, or exposure to high temperatures.

2. How does an atom release energy in an excited state?

An atom releases energy in an excited state by returning to a lower energy level. This can occur through emission of light, collisions with other atoms, or release of heat energy. The specific amount of energy released depends on the energy difference between the excited state and the lower energy level.

3. What factors affect the energy of an atom in an excited state?

The energy of an atom in an excited state is affected by the energy level it is in, the type of atom and its electron configuration, and the external energy source that caused the excitation. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also influence the energy of an excited atom.

4. Can an atom stay in an excited state forever?

No, an atom cannot stay in an excited state forever. Eventually, the electron will release the absorbed energy and return to a lower energy level. The amount of time an atom can stay in an excited state depends on its energy level and the external factors that caused the excitation.

5. How is the energy of an atom in an excited state measured?

The energy of an atom in an excited state can be measured using a variety of techniques such as spectroscopy, which measures the wavelength of light emitted or absorbed by the atom. Other methods include using an electron microscope or conducting experiments in controlled environments to observe changes in the atom's energy level.