Use linear regression to find Planck’s constant

In summary, the conversation is about using Excel to find Planck's constant using given data on frequency and photon energy. The person asking the question is using linear regression and has set the intercept to zero, but is getting a slightly incorrect value for h. It is suggested that the honest treatment would be to plot frequency vs. photoelectron energy and extract the work function and Planck's constant as the intercept and slope of the regression line. The person responds that they did not collect the data themselves and were taught to set the intercept to zero, but will keep the suggested points in mind.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
E = hf
I am trying to find Planck's constant using Excel given the data:

Frequency [Hz]Photon Energy [J]
7.5E+14​
4.90E-19​
6.7E+14​
4.50E-19​
6E+14​
4.00E-19​
5.5E+14​
3.60E-19​
5E+14​
3.30E-19​
4.6E+14​
3.00E-19​
4.3E+14​
2.80E-19​
4E+14​
2.65E-19​
3.75E+14​
2.50E-19​
I am using Linear regression and I have set the intercept to zero since photon energy is directly proportional to frequency from Planck's Law

My graph is,
1678592068711.png

However, why is the linear regression giving an incorrect value for h? According to the data Planck's Constant is ##7 \times 10^{-34} Js ## but it meant to be ##6.63 \times 10^{-34} Js##

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
However, why is the linear regression giving an incorrect value for h? According to the data Planck's Constant is ##7 \times 10^{-34} Js ## but it meant to be ##6.63 \times 10^{-34} Js##

Many thanks!
You can tell the spreadsheet software how many sig figs to show in the formula.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
You can tell the spreadsheet software how many sig figs to show in the formula.
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

I will try 3 sig figs just like the Planck's constant then.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

I will try 3 sig figs just like the Planck's constant then.

Many thanks!
Thank you @haruspex!

I have done that and got:
1678596242696.png

That is probably the most accurate experimental value for h I'm going to get.

Thank you!

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you @haruspex!

I have done that and got:
View attachment 323496
That is probably the most accurate experimental value for h I'm going to get.

Thank you!
Sorry that is 4 sig fig. To 3 sig fig it is 6.60.

Many thanks!

Depending on the experiment I would say that 7 is a very good result, because it is less that 6% greater than the value in tables :)

Likes ChiralSuperfields
malawi_glenn said:
Depending on the experiment I would say that 7 is a very good result, because it is less that 6% greater than the value in tables :)
Thank you for your reply @malawi_glenn !

How did you collect these data? It is unlikely that you measured the energy and frequency independently. If they are obtained from a photoelectric effect experiment, the honest treatment would be to plot frequency vs. photoelectron energy (or stopping voltage) and extract both the work function and Planck's as the intercept and slope of the regression line. If, as you may have done here, you pre-calculate the work function and then force a zero intercept, you are biasing the data. The linear regression algorithm in Excel should have the freedom to trade slope for intercept.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
How did you collect these data? It is unlikely that you measured the energy and frequency independently. If they are obtained from a photoelectric effect experiment, the honest treatment would be to plot frequency vs. photoelectron energy (or stopping voltage) and extract both the work function and Planck's as the intercept and slope of the regression line. If, as you may have done here, you pre-calculate the work function and then force a zero intercept, you are biasing the data. The linear regression algorithm in Excel should have the freedom to trade slope for intercept.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

I did not collect that data. I think the professor found it online. We were taught to set the intercept equal to zero in Excel since we are not that advanced yet. They may teach us that stuff you are saying in their second- and third-year experimental physics courses.

But thank you mentioning those points, that is helpful to keep in mind.

Many thanks!

• Informative
Likes kuruman
Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

I did not collect that data. I think the professor found it online. We were taught to set the intercept equal to zero in Excel since we are not that advanced yet. They may teach us that stuff you are saying in their second- and third-year experimental physics courses.

But thank you mentioning those points, that is helpful to keep in mind.

Many thanks!
That's fine then. Thanks for the clarification.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
That's fine then. Thanks for the clarification.
Thank you for your help @kuruman!

1. What is linear regression?

Linear regression is a statistical method used to model the relationship between two variables by fitting a straight line to the data. It is commonly used to predict the value of one variable based on the value of another variable.

2. How is linear regression used to find Planck’s constant?

In the context of Planck’s constant, linear regression is used to analyze the data from the photoelectric effect, which describes the relationship between the frequency of light and the kinetic energy of emitted electrons. By plotting this data and fitting a linear regression line, we can determine the slope of the line, which is equal to Planck’s constant.

3. What is Planck’s constant?

Planck’s constant, denoted by the symbol h, is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is a crucial constant in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

4. Why is it important to find Planck’s constant?

Finding Planck’s constant is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is also a crucial constant in many applications, such as in the development of new technologies like solar cells and LEDs.

5. What are the limitations of using linear regression to find Planck’s constant?

One limitation of using linear regression to find Planck’s constant is that it assumes a linear relationship between frequency and kinetic energy, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement of Planck’s constant depends on the precision of the data and the assumptions made in the analysis.