Energy of Oscillations: Find Work Done Against Tension

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
anubis01
Messages
149
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A string of length L is clamped at both ends, pulled up a distance h with tension T. What is the energy of the subsequent oscillations after plucking. [Hint, consider the work done against the tension in giving the string its initial deformation]


Homework Equations


E=K+U


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not completely sure if my answer is correct or not, so if anyone can help me check it I would greatly appreciate it. I also just scanned my work because I'm not that great at using the forums latex commands.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1155/cci24092009800000i.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That seems to be correct.

In order to use the hint, you first need to figure out what is the force required to hold the string at a (small) displacement y (using small angle approximations). Then, the work is the integral of this force from y=0 to y=h. Doing this, you will get the same answer.

BTW, good job with all those pesky factors of 2. I always screw those up.
 
turin said:
That seems to be correct.

BTW, good job with all those pesky factors of 2. I always screw those up.

yeah those factors of 2 tricked me up for a while too. Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.