1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of photons from Balmer series

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    2ltn7r5.png

I can see how I would do part b, but I am confused as to why I have got part a wrong. Apparently the answer is 12.09eV, but I cannot see how. It seems to me that using the formula as I did should give the answer. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2
    You've worked out the energy of the photon emitted going from n=3 to n=2.
    It doesn't ask for this.
    It wants the energy required to go from the ground level to to n=3 ( ie to the level where it can emit the Hα photon.

4. Mar 7, 2013 #3
    But if I do [itex]\frac{1}{\lambda_\alpha} = R(\frac{1}{1^2} - \frac{1}{3^2})[/itex], I'm not using the Balmer series, am I? I thought it needed to be a [itex]2^2[/itex] for the Balmer series? If I use a 1, how can it be the [itex]H_\alpha[/itex] line?

Unless you're saying the [itex]H_\alpha[/itex] is emitted during the transition from n=3 to n=2? Thus, it wants the energy to get to the n=3 in the first place, rather than the energy of the photon that would give the [itex]H_\alpha[/itex]?

5. Mar 7, 2013 #4
    Yes (this agrees with the supplied answer.)

6. Mar 7, 2013 #5
    Ahh, ok. This sorts out my confusion, then. Thank you for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted