Energy of photons from Balmer series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Fluxthroughme
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
2ltn7r5.png


I can see how I would do part b, but I am confused as to why I have got part a wrong. Apparently the answer is 12.09eV, but I cannot see how. It seems to me that using the formula as I did should give the answer. Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You've worked out the energy of the photon emitted going from n=3 to n=2.
It doesn't ask for this.
It wants the energy required to go from the ground level to to n=3 ( ie to the level where it can emit the Hα photon.
 
ap123 said:
You've worked out the energy of the photon emitted going from n=3 to n=2.
It doesn't ask for this.
It wants the energy required to go from the ground level to to n=3 ( ie to the level where it can emit the Hα photon.

But if I do [itex]\frac{1}{\lambda_\alpha} = R(\frac{1}{1^2} - \frac{1}{3^2})[/itex], I'm not using the Balmer series, am I? I thought it needed to be a [itex]2^2[/itex] for the Balmer series? If I use a 1, how can it be the [itex]H_\alpha[/itex] line?

Unless you're saying the [itex]H_\alpha[/itex] is emitted during the transition from n=3 to n=2? Thus, it wants the energy to get to the n=3 in the first place, rather than the energy of the photon that would give the [itex]H_\alpha[/itex]?
 
Unless you're saying the Hα is emitted during the transition from n=3 to n=2? Thus, it wants the energy to get to the n=3 in the first place, rather than the energy of the photon that would give the Hα?

Yes (this agrees with the supplied answer.)
 
ap123 said:
Yes (this agrees with the supplied answer.)

Ahh, ok. This sorts out my confusion, then. Thank you for the help.