Energy of reaction: per moles of what?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the standard Gibbs energy of a chemical reaction and how it is measured in kJ/mol. The person is unsure of which reactant or product the energy is produced per mole of, and the expert suggests looking for clues in the text or assuming it is per mole of the reaction as written.
Danny-Boy
Disclaimer: I've never had a chemistry class in my life. I'm reading a journal article that states the following:

S2O32- + 2O2 + H2O → 2SO42- + 2H+

has the standard Gibbs energy of −766 kJ/mol at 25ºC. So, this is energy produced per moles of what?! Reactant? Product? If so, which reactant or product and how do I figure that out? Or does it just mean that if I reacted 1 mole of thiosulfate with 2 moles of oxygen, I'd end up with 766 kJ of energy? Any help would be appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Danny-Boy said:
1 mole of thiosulfate
Generally per mole of the principal reactant. You winkled it out.

Bystander said:
Generally per mole of the principal reactant. You winkled it out.
Thanks for the reply! How do I determined which is the principal reactant if I'm not familiar with the reaction?

Danny-Boy said:
which is the principal reactant if
Hopefully there's some context to point it out. Look for key phrases hidden in obscure places in the text, "per mole of _____" produced/consumed.

If there is no other information - "per mole of reaction as written". Say you are told ΔH for

2Al + 3Cl2 → 2AlCl3

is x kJ. That would mean x/2 kJ per mole of Al consumed or AlCl3produced, x/3 kJ per mole of Cl2.

What is energy of reaction?

Energy of reaction refers to the amount of energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.

How is energy of reaction measured?

Energy of reaction is typically measured in units of joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ) per mole of substance involved in the reaction.

What is the significance of energy of reaction?

The energy of reaction can indicate whether a reaction is exothermic (releases energy) or endothermic (absorbs energy). It can also be used to calculate the efficiency of a reaction.

What factors affect the energy of reaction?

The energy of reaction can be affected by the nature of the reactants, the reaction conditions (such as temperature and pressure), and the catalysts present.

How is energy of reaction related to enthalpy?

Enthalpy is the measure of the total energy of a system, including both the energy of the molecules and the energy of the surrounding environment. The energy of reaction is related to enthalpy through the change in enthalpy (ΔH) of the reaction, which is equal to the energy of the products minus the energy of the reactants.