Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of reaction: per moles of what?

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1
    Disclaimer: I've never had a chemistry class in my life. I'm reading a journal article that states the following:

S2O32- + 2O2 + H2O → 2SO42- + 2H+

has the standard Gibbs energy of −766 kJ/mol at 25ºC. So, this is energy produced per moles of what?! Reactant? Product? If so, which reactant or product and how do I figure that out? Or does it just mean that if I reacted 1 mole of thiosulfate with 2 moles of oxygen, I'd end up with 766 kJ of energy? Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Generally per mole of the principal reactant. You winkled it out.

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply! How do I determined which is the principal reactant if I'm not familiar with the reaction?

5. Jan 10, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hopefully there's some context to point it out. Look for key phrases hidden in obscure places in the text, "per mole of _____" produced/consumed.

6. Jan 10, 2015 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If there is no other information - "per mole of reaction as written". Say you are told ΔH for

2Al + 3Cl2 → 2AlCl3

is x kJ. That would mean x/2 kJ per mole of Al consumed or AlCl3produced, x/3 kJ per mole of Cl2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook