Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of reactions vs. HEat energy evolves per second inititally

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    Nitrogen dioxide reacts with carbon monoxide by the overall equation:

NO2(g) + CO(g) ----> NO(g)+ CO2(g)

At a particular temperature, the reaction is second order In NO2 and zero order in CO. The rate constant is 0.515 L/(mol*s). How much heat energy evolves per second initially from 3.50 L of reaction mixture containing .0250 M NO2?

Assume the enthalpy change is constant with temperature.How much heat energy evolves per second initially from 3.50 L of reaction mixture containing .0250 M NO2?

I figured out the rate law for this = k[NO2]^2
    The enthalpy change for NO2 is 33.1 kJ/mol
    However I don't really understand how the concentration, the volume, and the rate constant would relate to find out the heat energy?

Should i find the number of moles of NO2 or what should I do? I totally have no idea about this!

Any help would be highly appreciate

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How much energy would evolve during a second if there were 1 mole of NO2 produced per second? And if there were 0.5 mole produced? And if there were n moles produced?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook