Did all the universe's energy begin at the same time as the universe?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter NextFeynman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 7K views
Drakkith said:
I believe light loses energy over time due to redshift from expansion.

I thought that total energy was conserved. Energy density of radiation decreases because the volume of the universe increases. Energy density times volume is a constant, as far as I know in a finite Universe. In an infinite Universe then energy density divided by matter density would be a constant.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
ImaLooser said:
I thought that total energy was conserved. Energy density of radiation decreases because the volume of the universe increases. Energy density times volume is a constant, as far as I know in a finite Universe. In an infinite Universe then energy density divided by matter density would be a constant.
Nope. See my first post in this thread.
 
Keep in mind some forms of energy are positive, and others [e.g., gravity] are considered negative. At the moment, negative energy appears to dominate the universe.