Energy pathways within the mind

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of seeing swirling lights and shapes when pressing on the eyes, and the possible causes of this experience. It is believed to be a combination of direct stimulation of retinal receptor cells and random noise in the visual cortex. The retina, being a part of the brain, is connected to the brain by the optic nerve. The conversation also mentions the potential uses and inducements of this experience, such as in understanding how the brain works or through meditation.
revesz
im wondering what these images i see are. When i close my eyes and gently push the palmes of my hand into my eyes, after about 30 seconds, i start seeing swirling lights and strings and squares, and detailed contantly shifting shapes that i can't possibly describe accuratly.

It is fascenating, it's like something you would see in an out of body experience, try it and see for yourself. its easy to do, i just push the bottom of my palm into my eye socket and i start to see matrix like effects, first everything goes yellow, then there are random flashing boxes of uncertain colour, then a matrix of digitalized geometry, laced with energy waves and worms that move and react to one another.

try it then tell me if you see anything like what i have described.
What is all this stuff, and why don't i always see it? i think it is a result of blood displacement within the visual part of the brain, just behind the eye, or mabye its just me giving myself brain-damage(hope not). so tell me what this is, or what causes it, is it something the brain creates, or is it received from the eye?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by revesz
...so tell me what this is, or what causes it, is it something the brain creates, or is it received from the eye?

Hi revesz,

I think that there's a combination of two things possibly happening.

I think in part, the phenomenon you're describing is a form of *photopsia* caused by stimulation of retinal receptor cells by pressure from the vitreous gel. If you close your eye and push your eyeball firmly from the outer corner, you can elicit a luminous photopsia more lucidly... that's a direct stimulation of the retinal receptor cells. (Just don't push too firmly...)

But the second thing happening is that the both the receptor cells and the cells of the visual cortex can experience random noise (i.e. neuronal firing) that occurs spontaneously in the absence of visual stimuli.

So it might be from both the brain and the eye... but having said that, the retina is actually a part of the brain -- the receptors (rods and cones) are histologically neuronal cells, and so you could think of them as an extension of the visual cortex, connected to the brain by long afferent axons (i.e. the optic nerve).

Regards,
metasystem

it doesn't look like random noise, it looks more like a fractal image, that a computer might have created. i have never heard reference to this anywhere before, but i find it usefull in understanding how the brain works, its as if i can see an ever changing display of light, its beautiful, i think the effect would be mostly from signals sent into the visual cortex, by the receptors, mabye it works the way nerves work, and the pressure creates a response, exept that the brain interprets this signal differently. so i would expect the same effect to be experienced if someone were haveing brain surgery or having some trauma to the brain, this may also be inducable with drugs, or meditation.

1. What are energy pathways within the mind?

Energy pathways within the mind refer to the flow of energy throughout the brain and central nervous system, which is essential for proper functioning and cognitive processes.

2. How does energy flow within the mind?

Energy flows within the mind through a complex network of neural pathways and synapses, which are constantly firing and communicating with each other to transmit information and maintain homeostasis.

3. What role do energy pathways play in mental health?

Energy pathways are crucial for mental health as they influence mood, cognition, and overall brain function. Imbalances or disruptions in these pathways can lead to various mental health disorders.

4. Can energy pathways within the mind be altered or improved?

Yes, energy pathways within the mind can be altered and improved through various methods such as mindfulness practices, therapy, and medication. These techniques can help regulate and optimize energy flow within the brain.

5. Are there any scientific studies on energy pathways within the mind?

Yes, there have been numerous scientific studies on energy pathways within the mind, particularly in the fields of neuroscience and psychology. These studies have helped deepen our understanding of how energy flows within the mind and its impact on mental health.