1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy released in an explosion

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1
    Hi All, I'm working on a problem about describing the energy released when a bomb explodes, assuming it releases energy, E, I'm trying to describe the rate at which the radius of the bomb blast wave is expanding. I'm having some difficulty conceiving where to start in connecting the energy released to the radius of the explosion. Thanks in advance for all the help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2010 #2
    I am actually having the same problem.. Could someone please be kind enough to explain a formula which describes a shock wave coming from an explosion of, let's say, TNT?

4. Nov 30, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

This information is readily available on the Internet. I Googled TNT Shock Wave, and got lots of hits. Many were YouTube videos unfortunately, but some were more techincal in nature. This is one that may help you:

http://www.makeitlouder.com/document_bombshockwaveestimation.html

Since discussions of dangerous activities are not allowed on the PF, I'm going to close this thread. You can find more hits by doing the Google search yourself.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook