Energy required to expand V of cylinder

  • Thread starter Thread starter vertciel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cylinder Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
vertciel
Messages
62
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate the work done when the volume of a cylinder is increased by 90.0 L against the atmospheric pressure. Think about the upward movement of a piston as it expands the volume of a cylinder.

---

I am actually an AP Chemistry student and am supposed to do this problem using unit analysis as I am not taking AP Physics. However, I have taken Grade 11 Physics.

Thank you for your help!

--

My Work:

Since 1 L = 0.001 m3, then 90.0 L = 0.0900 m3.

Since 1 Pa = 1 N/m2, then 1.013E5 Pa = 1.013E5 N/m2.

In order to get Nm = J = work:

1.013E5 N/m2 x 0.0900 m3 = 9,117 Nm = 9117 J = 9.12 x 103 J.
 
Physics news on Phys.org