Energy state of hydrogen molecule

In summary, it seems like the energy states of hydrogen are difficult to calculate and may not be what is typically thought of as the ground state.
Arafat Sagar
I am doing my research on quantum transport. Now, I have some confusions- my questions and my idea about those go like this-

1. what is the ground energy state of hydrogen molecule?
>> as long as i know, hydrogen molecule has a bonding state and an antibonding state. i think bonding state has lower energy than -13.6 eV (i mean may be -20,-30 or something) and antibonding state must have higher energy (like -8 or -6 ev). The bonding energy state is the ground state of H2. am i right?

2. if i shine light on H2, what will happen?
>> may be one of the electron will go to the next upper state. next upper state is the antibonding state. am i right?

3. if one electron goes upward absorbing light, will the bond sustain?
>> may be the bond will be broken. because the overall energy antibonding+bonding will be greater than the ground state of hydrogen atom. the bond will not be broken if there are multiple bonding orbitals having energy less than the atomic ground state. am i right?

4. is it possible to have multiple bonding orbitals having energy less than the atomic ground state of hydrogen?

5. what is the numerical values of energy states of H2.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Arafat Sagar said:
I am doing my research on quantum transport. Now, I have some confusions- my questions and my idea about those go like this-

1. what is the ground energy state of hydrogen molecule?
>> as long as i know, hydrogen molecule has a bonding state and an antibonding state. i think bonding state has lower energy than -13.6 eV (i mean may be -20,-30 or something) and antibonding state must have higher energy (like -8 or -6 ev). The bonding energy state is the ground state of H2. am i right?

2. if i shine light on H2, what will happen?
>> may be one of the electron will go to the next upper state. next upper state is the antibonding state. am i right?

3. if one electron goes upward absorbing light, will the bond sustain?
>> may be the bond will be broken. because the overall energy antibonding+bonding will be greater than the ground state of hydrogen atom. the bond will not be broken if there are multiple bonding orbitals having energy less than the atomic ground state. am i right?

4. is it possible to have multiple bonding orbitals having energy less than the atomic ground state of hydrogen?

5. what is the numerical values of energy states of H2.

I've taken just one course in physical chemistry so I'm not certain on these questions. I'll attempt to answer anyway though, and hopefully a more knowledgeable member can confirm :)

1. I don't think you can really calculate the ground energy state. Or doing so, at least, is difficult. Usually you calculate the differences in energy between ground state and a higher energy level.

2. I think the light would have to have a high enough frequency in order to affect the H2 molecule.

3. Not sure.

4. I don't think it's possible to be lower energy than the ground state.

5. You will want to look at the difference in energy level between each and the ground state. I'm not sure where to find this outside of a P Chem book.

1. What is the energy state of a hydrogen molecule?

The energy state of a hydrogen molecule refers to the specific energy level or state that the molecule is in. This energy state is determined by the arrangement of the electrons within the molecule and can vary depending on factors such as temperature and external forces.

2. How is the energy state of a hydrogen molecule calculated?

The energy state of a hydrogen molecule can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the potential energy of the electrons and the kinetic energy of their motion. This equation allows us to determine the energy levels and corresponding states of the molecule.

3. What are the different energy states of a hydrogen molecule?

There are several energy states that a hydrogen molecule can exist in, including the ground state (lowest energy level), excited states (higher energy levels), and dissociated states (when the molecule breaks apart into separate atoms). The specific energy state of a hydrogen molecule depends on the energy of the electrons and the overall stability of the molecule.

4. How does the energy state of a hydrogen molecule affect its chemical properties?

The energy state of a hydrogen molecule can greatly impact its chemical properties. For example, a molecule in a highly excited state may be more reactive and likely to undergo chemical reactions, while a molecule in the ground state may be more stable and less likely to react. Additionally, the energy state can affect the strength of the bonds between the hydrogen atoms, making the molecule more or less stable.

5. Can the energy state of a hydrogen molecule be changed?

Yes, the energy state of a hydrogen molecule can be changed through various means. For example, the molecule can absorb or release energy through chemical reactions, collisions with other molecules, or exposure to electromagnetic radiation. These changes in energy can cause the molecule to transition between different energy states, altering its chemical properties and behavior.