1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy stored in a capacitor graph

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    What would a graph of Energy stored in a capacitor whilst charging and discharging a capacitor against time look like?

Would the graph of Energy stored vs. time whilst charging have the same shape as the Voltage/time graph?

For discharging, would it be exponential decay?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2
    It seems to me you'll need a formula for energy versus voltage and capacitance. I wonder where you could find that.
  4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply. E=0.5QV. This doesnt relate the energy to time, however.

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4
    For a charging capacitor the formula is V*(1-e^-(t/rc)) where V is the supply voltage used for charging, e is the number e, about 2.71, t is the charging time and rc is the charging resistance times the capacitance. RC is often called the time constant or tau.

For instance if R=1k ohm and C=1 uF, the time constant would be 1k * 1u or .001 seconds. This means that if you charged that capacitor for 1 millisecond it would be 1-e^-(.001/.001) or 1 - e^-1 or about 63.2% charged. Multiply that by the charging voltage to get the charged voltage.
  6. Jan 20, 2009 #5
    Thanks alot for the reply. So what would graphs of ENERGY vs. time look like? I am aware of the case for Voltage, charge and current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?