How to calculate R1 and R2 in this RC circuit

In summary: R1 also doubles? I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly.Yes, current through R1 will double when the switch is closed.
derrickj585
Homework Statement
Hey everyone,

I'm having difficulty calculating R1 and R2 in this RC Circuit, and I'd really appreciate if anyone could point out the flaws in my calculations.

The problem states: "The circuit contains an ideal battery, two resistors and a capacitor (C = 250 μF). The switch is closed at time t = 0, and the voltage across the capacitor is recorded as a function of time in the graph. Calculate the resistances R1 and R2".

We are provided with the circuit diagram and the Capacitor voltage vs time graph (both attached).
Relevant Equations
τ = RC
Q = VC
V = IR
Using the Capacitor voltage vs. time graph, I calculated the time constant τ when the switch is closed (capacitor charging) and open (capacitor discharging). I calculated τclosed = 2.5s and τopen = 3.75s.

Since the resistors are in parallel when the switch is closed, I assumed that 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2, so τclosed = 2.5s = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1 * C; C = 250 uF
Since the resistors are in series when the switch is open/the capacitor is discharging, I assumed that Req = R1 + R2, and τopen = 3.75s = (R1 + R2) * C; C = 250 uF

This math didn't work at all (system of equations is impossible to solve), so I'm a bit stuck here. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could take the time to point out the mistakes in my approach and/or point me in the right direction. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• RC Circuit.PNG
    RC Circuit.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 167
  • RC Circuit 2.jpg
    RC Circuit 2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 150
Physics news on Phys.org
derrickj585 said:
Homework Statement:: Hey everyone,

I'm having difficulty calculating R1 and R2 in this RC Circuit, and I'd really appreciate if anyone could point out the flaws in my calculations.

The problem states: "The circuit contains an ideal battery, two resistors and a capacitor (C = 250 μF). The switch is closed at time t = 0, and the voltage across the capacitor is recorded as a function of time in the graph. Calculate the resistances R1 and R2".

We are provided with the circuit diagram and the Capacitor voltage vs time graph (both attached).
Relevant Equations:: τ = RC
Q = VC
V = IR

Using the Capacitor voltage vs. time graph, I calculated the time constant τ when the switch is closed (capacitor charging) and open (capacitor discharging). I calculated τclosed = 2.5s and τopen = 3.75s.

Since the resistors are in parallel when the switch is closed, I assumed that 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2, so τclosed = 2.5s = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1 * C; C = 250 uF
Since the resistors are in series when the switch is open/the capacitor is discharging, I assumed that Req = R1 + R2, and τopen = 3.75s = (R1 + R2) * C; C = 250 uF

This math didn't work at all (system of equations is impossible to solve), so I'm a bit stuck here. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could take the time to point out the mistakes in my approach and/or point me in the right direction. Thank you so much!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Initially with the switch open, the R and C voltages will all be zero, since there is no source of energy for them.

Right after the switch is closed, the battery voltage will be placed across the resistor R2, and that will not change with time, since this is an ideal voltage source whose output voltage does not depend on its output current over time.

The voltages in the R1 and C branch will depend on time, as the capacitor charges up. Initially the capacitor is uncharged, so Vc=0 and all of the source voltage drops across the resistor R1. But as current flows through R1 to charge up the C, the voltage in that branch exponentially decays across R1 and exponentially increases across the capacitor and finally when there is no current through R1, all of the source voltage appears across the capacitor C.

Does that make sense? Have you had enough calculus yet where we can talk about this in terms of the differential equations for the voltage and current for a capacitor? :smile:

## i(t) = C\frac{dv(t)}{dt}##

Likes derrickj585
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Initially with the switch open, the R and C voltages will all be zero, since there is no source of energy for them.

Right after the switch is closed, the battery voltage will be placed across the resistor R2, and that will not change with time, since this is an ideal voltage source whose output voltage does not depend on its output current over time.

The voltages in the R1 and C branch will depend on time, as the capacitor charges up. Initially the capacitor is uncharged, so Vc=0 and all of the source voltage drops across the resistor R1. But as current flows through R1 to charge up the C, the voltage in that branch exponentially decays across R1 and exponentially increases across the capacitor and finally when there is no current through R1, all of the source voltage appears across the capacitor C.

Does that make sense? Have you had enough calculus yet where we can talk about this in terms of the differential equations for the voltage and current for a capacitor? :smile:

## i(t) = C\frac{dv(t)}{dt}##
Hi Berkeman,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out! Your explanation cleared a lot of it up for me.

So, since voltage is constant in R2 as soon as the switch is closed, does that mean that the time constant when the switch is closed is only dependent on R1 and C?

I don’t have much of a calculus background sadly, but I’ll try my best to understand :)

derrickj585 said:
So, since voltage is constant in R2 as soon as the switch is closed, does that mean that the time constant when the switch is closed is only dependent on R1 and C?
Yes. R2 is basically nothing in the circuit other than an extra current drain on the source. It's irrelevant for any other circuit calculations.

Now, in the real world, where voltage sources have an internal resistance, then R2 does come into play.

EDIT: Oh, I should add that if, after a while you open the switch then R2 provides a current drain path for the cap.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and derrickj585

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of current and voltage.

2. How do I calculate the values of R1 and R2 in an RC circuit?

The values of R1 and R2 can be calculated using the following formula: R1 = R2 x (V1/V2), where R1 and R2 are the resistances, and V1 and V2 are the voltages across the resistors. Alternatively, you can also use the voltage divider rule (V1/V2 = R1/(R1+R2)) to calculate the values.

3. What is the purpose of calculating R1 and R2 in an RC circuit?

The values of R1 and R2 in an RC circuit determine the overall resistance of the circuit, which affects the flow of current and voltage. These values are crucial in designing and analyzing electronic circuits to ensure proper functioning and safety.

4. How do I choose the appropriate values for R1 and R2 in an RC circuit?

The values of R1 and R2 depend on the specific application and desired performance of the circuit. In general, a higher resistance will result in a slower charging and discharging of the capacitor, while a lower resistance will lead to a faster response. It is important to consider the voltage and current ratings of the components when choosing the values of R1 and R2.

5. Can R1 and R2 be replaced with other components in an RC circuit?

Yes, R1 and R2 can be replaced with other components, such as variable resistors or potentiometers, to adjust the resistance and change the behavior of the circuit. However, it is important to ensure that the replacement components have appropriate ratings and are compatible with the rest of the circuit.