Energy-time uncertainty principle

Main Question or Discussion Point

I feel there are several non-eqivalent interpretations of energy-tme uncertainty principle.It is right?And if so,what are those corrects?In particular one that sees it (the uncertainty energy-time ) as a chance of violate conservation of energy for a time sufficently small.I would be grateful if someone schow my texs or articles on this topic.Thanks.Sergio

Answers and Replies

That's right. For more details see e.g.
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0105049
Thanks for the link, that paper was interesting. I searched the paper for mention of tunneling, but none were found.

It had always been my understanding that energy-time uncertainty could be used to explain some kinds of quantum tunneling. Is that correct?

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Thanks for the link, that paper was interesting. I searched the paper for mention of tunneling, but none were found.

It had always been my understanding that energy-time uncertainty could be used to explain some kinds of quantum tunneling. Is that correct?
I believe that energy-time uncertainty is used for explanation of tunneling only in popular books on quantum physics, not in serious scientific texts.

In QM tunneling can it even be said that the particle spends any real time inside the barrier? You cannot find it there.

In QM tunneling can it even be said that the particle spends any real time inside the barrier? You cannot find it there.
Its an unequivocal prediction of the theory - it can be found there if you were to measure it.

Thanks
Bill