Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy-time uncertainty principle

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    I feel there are several non-eqivalent interpretations of energy-tme uncertainty principle.It is right?And if so,what are those corrects?In particular one that sees it (the uncertainty energy-time ) as a chance of violate conservation of energy for a time sufficently small.I would be grateful if someone schow my texs or articles on this topic.Thanks.Sergio

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

4. May 13, 2015 #3

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Thanks for the link, that paper was interesting. I searched the paper for mention of tunneling, but none were found.

It had always been my understanding that energy-time uncertainty could be used to explain some kinds of quantum tunneling. Is that correct?

5. May 13, 2015 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I believe that energy-time uncertainty is used for explanation of tunneling only in popular books on quantum physics, not in serious scientific texts.

6. May 13, 2015 #5
    In QM tunneling can it even be said that the particle spends any real time inside the barrier? You cannot find it there.

7. May 13, 2015 #6

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its an unequivocal prediction of the theory - it can be found there if you were to measure it.

Thanks
    Bill

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook