1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy/Work/Efficiency/Metabolic Rate Question

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A friend is doing a work out in a gym.

Suppose the efficiency for the activities in the work out is 10% and the metabolic rate is 700w, how much physical work would she have done in 20 minutes?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to start this question! I can't find any related formulas, so I was just hoping someone could help me out and start me in the right direction :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2
    Hi.
    Do you know definition of efficiency? Here it means that for every 10 watts she burns only one is going into physical work. A watt is unit of power.

the total work is power*time . You will need to keep your units straight so use seconds. Does that help?

4. Apr 22, 2007 #3
    Ok, so is the 700w per hour?? If so that would mean 70 watts going into work; 1.167 per minute; 23.33w of power for the 20 minutes. Is that correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?