1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineer Physics Vs Plain Physics

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    I am switching majors over from Computer Science to Physics or Engineering physics and need some advice:

Pros for Engineering Physics:

1. More practical if don't end up heading to grad school.
    2. I can specialize in Computer Science within the Engineering Physics major so I would need only two more CS classes towards that.
    3. Besides those 2 CS classes only need 3 Engineering Classes: Intro to Engineering, And Circuits I & II with Labs.

Cons for Engineering Physics:
    1. Need to take more classes.
    2. Will be less room to take more physics and math courses or do independent study or research.

Pros of Straight Physics:
    1. Less classes needed.
    2. Will give me more freedom with electives and time last few semester to do research or independent studies.
    3. Probably not looking to go into a career where I would use the engineering stuff much as I wish to go to grad school in Astro.

Cons of Straight Physics:

1. If I don't make it into grad school I'll be stuck with a physics degree and not as many options.
    2. The 3 classes I took for my CS major won't end up counting for much.

Are there are other consideration I am neglecting? When I do apply to grad school does an Engineering Physics degree look any different than a Physics one? What about in the job market?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does the engineering physics count as an engineering degree for PEng/CEng certification?
    Does this matter in your country?

A lot of places require PEng/CEng to sign off on certain jobs, other places demand it for certain levels of management - in some countries you can't even call yourself an engineer without one .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook