• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Engineering grad school stipends?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Latecomer
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I always hear about physics PHD candidates receiving tuition waivers/stipends for grad school.
Does this happen in engineering grad school also? Is it as common?

Answers and Replies

fss
It happens, but it is not as common. It depends on what kind of degree you're going for; Masters degrees are not commonly funded. PhDs are, depending on where you go.

Is that true that it's not as common? That sounds wrong to me, if you consider all the engineering fields combined.

Every field has funded PhDs, science or not. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of engineering PhD stipends are higher than physics. Engineers are already employable with a BS so the grad school stipends should reflect that.

I thought that they would be about the same, as far as frequency. Regardless, they do exist, and provided you keep the grades, research, et al. it's entirely in the realm of possibility.

In Canada at least, it depends on the degree.

A thesis masters or phd would have some sort of funding. These are degrees in 'applied science.'

There is also a non-thesis masters, which is purely coursework, that you would be paying for. This is a terminal, professional degree in 'engineering.'

I'm going to get $28k in stipend.

I'm going to get $28k in stipend.
Country? Specialization? Thesis/Non-thesis? Is this standard at your school?

Without context your post doesn't really help the OP. Also forces readers to make the assumption that you're even in engineering.

I always hear about physics PHD candidates receiving tuition waivers/stipends for grad school.
Does this happen in engineering grad school also? Is it as common?
That's what I had. For folks wanting to get a PhD in engineering, it's very common - I didn't know anyone who didn't do this.

It really depends though on the university, the professor, the funding he/she has and such. In my case my professor/adviser had a big buffer beyond what the university would fund based on his industry connections and contracting. We had a dozen people in his lab with all on an RA with full tuition and stipend. I even got onboard as an undergrad junior year with the full ride. That's probably not so common. But it happens.