Engineering grad school stipends?

In summary: PhDs in engineering are funded more often than not, but it really depends on the field of engineering and the school.
Latecomer
I always hear about physics PHD candidates receiving tuition waivers/stipends for grad school.
Does this happen in engineering grad school also? Is it as common?

Physics news on Phys.org
It happens, but it is not as common. It depends on what kind of degree you're going for; Masters degrees are not commonly funded. PhDs are, depending on where you go.

Is that true that it's not as common? That sounds wrong to me, if you consider all the engineering fields combined.

Every field has funded PhDs, science or not. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of engineering PhD stipends are higher than physics. Engineers are already employable with a BS so the grad school stipends should reflect that.

I thought that they would be about the same, as far as frequency. Regardless, they do exist, and provided you keep the grades, research, et al. it's entirely in the realm of possibility.

In Canada at least, it depends on the degree.

A thesis masters or phd would have some sort of funding. These are degrees in 'applied science.'

There is also a non-thesis masters, which is purely coursework, that you would be paying for. This is a terminal, professional degree in 'engineering.'

I'm going to get $28k in stipend.

gravenewworld said:
I'm going to get $28k in stipend.

Country? Specialization? Thesis/Non-thesis? Is this standard at your school?

Without context your post doesn't really help the OP. Also forces readers to make the assumption that you're even in engineering.

Latecomer said:
I always hear about physics PHD candidates receiving tuition waivers/stipends for grad school.
Does this happen in engineering grad school also? Is it as common?

That's what I had. For folks wanting to get a PhD in engineering, it's very common - I didn't know anyone who didn't do this.

It really depends though on the university, the professor, the funding he/she has and such. In my case my professor/adviser had a big buffer beyond what the university would fund based on his industry connections and contracting. We had a dozen people in his lab with all on an RA with full tuition and stipend. I even got onboard as an undergrad junior year with the full ride. That's probably not so common. But it happens.

1. What is a stipend in engineering grad school?

A stipend in engineering grad school is a form of financial support provided to graduate students to cover their living expenses while they pursue their degree. It is typically awarded through a combination of scholarships, fellowships, and teaching or research assistantships.

2. How much can I expect to receive as a stipend in engineering grad school?

The amount of a stipend in engineering grad school varies depending on the university, program, and field of study. However, on average, engineering grad students can expect to receive between $20,000 and $35,000 per year.

3. Do I have to pay taxes on my stipend as an engineering grad student?

In most cases, engineering grad students do not have to pay taxes on their stipends. This is because stipends are considered non-compensatory income and are not subject to federal income tax. However, it is always best to consult with a tax professional for specific advice.

4. Can I negotiate my stipend in engineering grad school?

Yes, it is possible to negotiate your stipend in engineering grad school. However, this is not common and may depend on the program's funding and budget. It is important to approach the negotiation process professionally and have a clear understanding of your worth and the market rate for similar positions.

5. Are there any additional benefits or perks that come with a stipend in engineering grad school?

In addition to covering living expenses, some engineering grad schools may also offer additional benefits or perks with their stipends. These can include health insurance, travel grants, conference funding, or access to resources and facilities. It is important to research and ask about these potential benefits when considering a grad school stipend offer.