1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering help - Right for me?

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    Hi

I have a problem that I hope I can get some advice on. I have been looking at doing a degree for a while and took a careers test a little while ago, and the results were that I would be suited for Engineering or science. So I started to look at degrees in these areas. I came across Civil Engineering, and thought it may be a good idea. The problem is that I don't really have any idea of the type of work the degree would involve, or if I would be any good at it/like it.

Is there any books I could read to introduce me to the basics and principles before I make a decision? Or even any web sites that have basic info? I don't know what I should be looking for, and it is really confusing seeing some of the sites that seem really advanced. I don't know where to start. If anyone could assist, or offer any advice it would be awesome.Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2
    From another thread:

4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    civil engineering is divided into four undergraduate topics:

structures:
    -solid mechanics, steel and concrete structure design, basically working with stress, strain, bending moments, etc. to build safe structures

transportation:
    - A more qualitative area on the standards and design principles for roads, highways, railways, ports, airports

water resources:
    -hydrodynamics as applied to urban water systems. ground and surface water flow, water quality and treatment

geotechnical:
    -soils and foundations

Most civil engineers are there because they like buildings, bridges, etc. Expect to work on group design projects, learn autocad, and learn management/professional practice.

5. Mar 22, 2008 #4
    In addition to what ekrim mentioned, there's also construction (which is my concentration). Some colleges have it as part of the civil engineering department, some have it as their own major. In any case, plenty of civil engineers end up working professionally for contractors. The construction concentration focuses on the methods of construction as well as the management of construction projects.

Also, there's environmental engineering (which is also usually part of the civil engineering department). It involves water treatment plants, removing pollutants from the atmosphere, etc.

A very good site about careers in engineering: http://www.careercornerstone.org/civileng/civileng.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?