Engineering Mathematics or Mathematics ?

In summary: It is possible that you would not find many jobs in which someone with an applied mathematics degree would be employed, but it is possible that you would find a job as a mathematician.
Newton90
Hello,

First of all i found too much helpful posts at physicsforums to understand many things and basic principles about the majors of Engineering, Physics and mathematics.

I got recently B.Sc degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering and that was good now i decided to have a master degree and that got me very confused because i have multiple choices. First, have master degree in electronics and communication major, this is of course the simplest way which i don't like it!. Second, have a master degree in mathematics from science department and this which most i like but i have a problem here i didn't study all mathematics courses they had there so it will be added simultaneously with master courses noting I'm not full-time discipline and i have to work. Third, my college provides master degree in engineering mathematics which i don't know too much about it and its future and how it compares with mathematics degree from science school !

I have to note that i feel more comfortable thinking in math and theory problems and i want to do my best trying to switch for mathematicians track involving theories and solving math-practical problems which is the most i like to do, although worrying about the future of the degree i will have and whether it will be sufficient for this huge step or it will help nothing !

Please help me in this decision, Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
going for a master degree in Math after your engineering degree is in not beneficial in terms of employment.
Engineering Mathematics can be more relevant in this case as it relates more to applications.

Also, if you didn't have any math undergrad courses intended for Mathematicians (not those offered for Engineers), I think you will be having seriously a hard time keeping up with the math grad courses (being excellent at the math for engineers courses is neither an indicator nor a guarantee that you will be good at the pure math courses).

physiker_192 said:
Also, if you didn't have any math undergrad courses intended for Mathematicians (not those offered for Engineers), I think you will be having seriously a hard time keeping up with the math grad courses (being excellent at the math for engineers courses is neither an indicator nor a guarantee that you will be good at the pure math courses).
I know seriously the problem which i want to solve but I'm really excellent at all branches those i read or study, because i like to compute everything i realize or i see and that was my problem in engineering department because they didn't have to compute and do everything accurately and they didn't also give much importance to understand basic theories, everything was about applications. Anyway, if Engineering mathematics (Applied Mathematics) degree would solve this, i will go for it. But i would like to know more about its jobs and the one who have degree in engineering mathematics is he an engineer or mathematician ?! i would like to know more information about this branch.As i think it wouldn't compare to a real mathematician neither i became a true engineer !

Last edited:
I don't think anyone around can provide you with a precise definition of what Eng. Math. is, the term is used differently from one university to another and you haven't provided any links or any information.

To me, it sounds like computational/numerical mathematics as applied to various fields, it should cover stuff like the Finite Element Method and such.
There are engineers out there who who specialize in FEM and focus mainly/solely on it.

physiker_192 said:
I don't think anyone around can provide you with a precise definition of what Eng. Math. is, the term is used differently from one university to another and you haven't provided any links or any information.
I'm very sorry about this, i thought Engineering mathematics track or applied mathematics is a well-known group of courses but I'm going to post all its courses here to know in what region will i go if i attended this courses and studied it well

-Advanced Linear Algebra
-Advanced functional analysis
-integral equations
-partial differential equations
-Theory of Numbers
-advanced numerical analysis
-numerical methods for partial differential equations
-Approximation theory and methods
-linear and numerical programming
-non-linear and dynamic programming
-statistics and chaotic systems
-Experimental Design and analysis
-algorithms design and analysis
-machines theory
-logic
-theory of computation
-numerical linear algebra
-numerical methods for integral equations
-advanced statistics
-chaotic differential equations
-neural modeling
-logic for problem solving

Those are the courses which listed for both master and Ph.D programs in my university. Is this courses too primitive when compared to courses which mathematicians go for in their master and Ph.D ?!

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between Engineering Mathematics and Mathematics?

Engineering Mathematics is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the application of mathematical principles and techniques to solve engineering problems. It includes topics such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and probability. On the other hand, Mathematics is a broader field that encompasses various branches such as algebra, geometry, number theory, and calculus, among others.

2. Why is Engineering Mathematics important in the field of engineering?

Engineering Mathematics provides the necessary tools and techniques for engineers to analyze and solve complex problems. It helps in the design and analysis of structures, machines, circuits, and systems. It also plays a crucial role in modeling and simulating real-world scenarios, making predictions, and optimizing processes.

3. How is Engineering Mathematics used in the real world?

Engineering Mathematics is used in various fields of engineering such as mechanical, electrical, civil, and computer engineering. It is used to design and analyze structures, develop algorithms and programs, optimize systems, and make predictions. It also has applications in fields such as physics, economics, and biology.

4. What skills are required to excel in Engineering Mathematics?

To excel in Engineering Mathematics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as calculus, algebra, and differential equations. Additionally, skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical reasoning are essential. Familiarity with computer programming and software tools is also beneficial.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Engineering Mathematics?

To improve your understanding of Engineering Mathematics, it is essential to practice regularly and solve a variety of problems. Working on real-world engineering projects can also help in applying mathematical concepts to practical situations. Additionally, seeking help from teachers, tutors, or online resources can aid in clarifying doubts and strengthening your knowledge.